Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 16 – 24 Huddersfield Giants

posted on 23 January 2011

Today saw a return of Rugby League to the Rapid Solicitors stadium with Wakefield Trinity Wildcats losing out 16-24 to local neighbours Huddersfield Giants in what was a closely fought contest.

The Wildcats had a mixture of youth and experience in their side but it was Huddersfield who put the first points on the board with a try from Joe Wardle after only six minutes. The Huddersfield youngster went over in the corner after good build up play and with a successful conversion by Greg McNally the score was 6-0 to the Giants.

The giants carried on their good run in the early stages of the first half with another try at 14 minutes, this time from hooker Shaun Lunt. Despite the best efforts of the Wildcats defence, Lunt managed to get the ball down in goal leaving the scoreboard at 12 -0 after McNally stepped up again to convert the try.

After Wakefield showed strong defence in keeping the giants out, they then came back in to the game with captain Glenn Morrison crossing the line with only a minute left of the half. Young fullback Josh Veivers showed his talent once again by converting from the touchline to put the Wildcats within 6 points at the break.

The Wildcats started the second half brightly and showed plenty of creativity in the opening stages half, however the giants defence were strong and held them out.

It was the Giants who opened the scoring in the second half on 55 minutes with some slick passing, which left a gap for the Huddersfield attack to go through. The try was converted by Greg McNally, making the score 6-18 to the Giants.

The Wildcats responded with a try in the corner on 58 minutes. Kevin Penny used his pace to come in off the wing and touchdown to put the Wildcats back within eight points.

Aussie favourite Sam Obst touched down moments later to put the Wildcats back within four points after quick build up enabled Obst to dummy round the Giants defence and secure the four points. A four point deficit quickly became two points with Veivers converting the try. This made the score 16-18 with well over ten minutes left.

It was however Huddersfield who struck next, with winger Greg Johnson fighting his way through the Wildcats defence to put the ball over the whitewash after 69 minutes played. His try was duly converted by Greg McNally to put the Giants into a 16-24 lead.

With ten minutes still left on the clock, there was plenty of time for the Wildcats to get back into the game. However, despite having a player sent to the sin bin in the final stages, the Giants came out as eventual winners.

Wildcats team: Veivers, Penny, Dean, Murphy, Jeffries, Obst, Korkidas, Lee, Johnson, Howarth, Ferguson, Morrison, Hyde, Mariano, Spiers, Henderson

Giants team: McNally, Johnson, Wardle, Coding, Griffin, Wood, Carlile, Griffin, Lunt, Raleigh, Kirmond, Malloy, Fairbank, Patrick, Walker, Sarsfield, Whiteley, Ansell, Orwell.

The Wildcats face Bradford Bulls at Odsal next Sunday (30th January). Tickets are available from the Wildcats Superstore on 0844 4140665.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts