Wildcats lose out to Wolves

posted on 11 March 2011

The Wakefield Wildcats were bravely defeated by the Warrington Wolves here at The Rapid Solicitors Stadium tonight.

The Wildcats had a strong, defensive first half preventing a number of Warrington Wolves tries. It was our visitors however that were the first to get points on the board with a try from Chris Riley after just 6 minutes, with an unsuccessful conversion the score stood at 4-0 to The Wolves.

Warrington followed with another try eight minutes later from the hands of Chris Bridge, Westwood added the extras, leaving the scores at 10-0. The Wildcats responded well with some great attacking play and a neat break from hooker Julien Rinaldi. In the 22nd minute new signing Josh Griffin produced a fantastic try saving tackle to keep The Warrington Wolves out.

A duo of Warrington knock on’s close to their try line and some strong Wildcats defence kept the Wolves from adding any extras. Wildcats were given a try scoring opportunity when Warrington gave away a penalty for a high tackle in the 37th minute just 30 metres from the Wakefield try line, but the Wildcats couldn’t capitalise and the Wolves packed down and managed to keep the home side out. Strong defence from Mariano in the final minute kept Warrington away from their try line and left the scores at 10-0 as both teams entered the changing rooms for half time.

Wakefield started the first half determined, as always, but Warrington were the first to score in the second half. Ryan Atkins crossed the line in the 47th minute and with a successful conversion from Ben Westwood the Wolves lead by 16 points to nil.

Kevin Henderson ploughed over the line 6 minutes later, but after sending the try to the video referee The Wildcats were denied the four points and were still left waiting to get off the zero mark. Warrington responded with a try from Richie Myler and with Westwood adding 2 points with the boot the score stood at 22 points to nil.

A Wildcats try soon followed. A charge down from Josh Griffin allowed the centre to run 50 metres and power over the line. After converting his own try the score was Wildcats 6, Warrington 22. The Wildcats continued to attack the try line but the Warrington defence stopped the team from adding any extras. The full time score was 22 – 6 to The Wolves.

The game was a hard fought contest and the efforts of the Wakefield side cannot be knocked. The team showed determination and spirit throughout. The Wildcats take on Hull FC next Friday at the KC Stadium. Contact 0844 4140665 for ticket information.

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts