Wildcats keep KR at bay!

posted on 1 May 2011

The Wakefield Trinity Wildcats picked up another exciting, memorable victory against Hull KR at a very bright and sunny Rapid Solicitors Stadium this afternoon.

The Wildcats were the first to open the try scoring with a charge over by Kyle Amor in the eighth minute, an unsuccessful conversion left the scores at 4-0 to the home side.

Hull KR responded well with a try of their own by full back Ben Cockayne, with Dobson adding the extras the visiting team took the lead by 6 points to 4. Wildcats kept their defence strong and their attacking play powerful and had a number of close attempts at the try line including a disallowed try from winger Luke George.

The Wakefield side then capitalised on their attacking efforts with Chris Dean diving over the whitewash after a powerful run. With Griffin failing to add the extras, the score board stood at 8-6 to the Wildcats.

A string of Hull KR errors left the Wildcats in possession for the majority of the half. As the teams entered the changing rooms for the half time break, the home side were in the lead with 8 points to 6.

The second half began with Wildcats extending their lead even further with a try through James Davey just minutes after the re start, Kieran Hyde adds the extras leaving the scores at 14-6. The home side carried on their try scoring ways with another touchdown from Aaron Murphy in the corner. A pass out wide set the centre up and with another successful kick from Hyde the Wildcats now lead with 20 points to 6.

Hull KR responded well and scored two quick tries from Welham and Cockayne respectively to close the ever growing gap. Michael Dobson added the extras which now meant the visiting side were only 2 points behind with the scores at 20-18.

The Wildcats defence stayed strong, keeping the Rovers side out on a number of attempts. However, a gap in the line was soon found with Blake Green charging over the whitewash. Dobson continued his successful conversions leaving the Hull KR side now in the lead with only a nail biting 10 minutes to go.

The Wildcats upped their attack and only minutes later, a smart kick out wide sent Josh Griffin diving over in the corner. The scores now stood even at 24 points each with a difficult kick to come. Hyde was unable to add the extras leaving the game at what everybody thought would be a draw.

A Wakefield penalty in the last minute sent the crowd roaring and left Kieran Hyde with the decision to take the two. The atmosphere could have been cut with a knife. The hooter blew as Hyde slotted the ball between the posts! The Wakefield Trinity Wildcats claimed another victory: 26 – 24.

The Wakefield Trinity Wildcats take on Doncaster in the 4th round tie of The Challenge Cup a week today. To purchase your tickets call 01924 211611 or call into the Wildcats Superstore on Doncaster Road.

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts