Wildcats fall to FC defeat

posted on 26 June 2011

On a hot sunny afternoon, it was Wakefield who sweltered under the heat with a disappointing 18-52 defeat. Tries from Gareth Moore, Kyle Amor and Luke George had kept the home side in it but it was Hull that ran away with the two points.

Wakefield started the brighter with Rinaldi, who was named Man of the Match, orchestrating their opening attacks. Just 7 minutes in, Smith placed a brilliant kick under the posts into the path of Gareth Moore who pounced to put them in front with him adding the extras. The scores stood at 6 points to nil.  Wakefield kept the high tempo up and just two minutes later, a placed kick from the home side deflected off the posts and Kyle Amor touched down.  Moore added the extras and Wakefield went 12 up and were showing shade’s of their brilliant performance against Huddersfield in their last home game.

Just 5 minutes later, Luke George made a brilliant tackle in Hull’s first attack of the game, but it was not enough to prevent Hull scoring in the hands of Westerman and following the conversion, they were now back in it at 12-6.

 After a string of impressive tackling the home defence eventually cracked however and after some quick link up play, Kirk Yeaman scored and with Tickle missing the conversion the Wildcats lead by just 2 points with the scores at 12-10. However, just minutes before half time Horne scored for Hull pushing the visitors infront at 12 points to 16.

Despite a strong, determined start from The Wildcats a penalty lead to Danny Tickle scoring for Hull, and with a successful conversion of his own try the scores now stood at 12-22. The Wildcats responded well and started to pick up their play with a fantastic break from a speedy Greg Johnson. It was Hull however that were the next to touch down with a try from Whiting, an unsuccessful conversion left the score board at 12-26 in Hull’s favour.

Just minutes later though, Hull gave the ball away and Luke George scored a fantastic full length try himself to score and with Gareth Moore converting, Wakefield were back in it at 18-26 and this game was turning into a fabulous spectacle.

The game was on a knife edge with both teams performing well. Two quick tries from Hull from Whiting and Turner respectively soon took the scores to 18-36. Another unanswered try from O’Meley along with the extras put them 42-18 up.

The Wildcats continued to fight but the sin binning of scrum half Jeremy Smith didn’t help the team. Hull continued to increase their lead. Another two tries from Briscoe and Radford respectively brought the game to a close with the scores standing at 18 points to 52 to the visiting side.

John Kear will be looking for improvement next week as The Wildcats take on Hull KR next Sunday at Craven Park. Don’t miss out on the action and purchase your tickets from the Wildcats Superstore or by calling 01924 211611.

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

By Francis Granger

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts