Second Half Misery for The Wildcats

posted on 31 July 2011

The Wakefield Trinity Wildcats lost out to Crusaders RL at a bright and sunny Rapid Solicitors Stadium this afternoon.

After a promising first half from both sides, the score line remained at 0-0 for the majority of the first 40 minutes after solid defence from both parties. The Wildcats demonstrated impressive skill and power by keeping the visitors out on a number of occasions, despite a penalty on the visitors line.

Jeremy Smith nearly put the first set of points on the board but after being pulled in to touch the try was disallowed. Withers went on to gain some much needed metres for the Crusaders but the Wildcats pack once again prevented the visitors from touching down and left the scores still standing at 0-0.

With just minutes to go before the half time hooter, Withers crossed over for the Welsh side and with a successful conversion from Schifkofske the scores stood at 6-0 to the visitors. Despite a few close attacks from Wakefield on the try line, the scores remained at 0-6 as both teams entered the dressing rooms.

The second half did not begin in The Wildcats favour with a touch down from Lloyd White for The Crusaders after just two minutes. An unsuccessful conversion took the scores to 10 points to nil. The visitors proceeded to extend their lead with two quick tries from White (his second of the game) and Reardon respectively. The score board soon stood at 22-6 in The Crusaders favour.

The Wildcats fought back and after a smart kick through from Jeremy Smith collected by himself and offloaded to Veivers, Wakefield got their first try of the game as Josh touched down. Veivers converted his own try and took the scores to 6-22. The Wildcats upped their attacking play and dominated their try line for the next few sets. Jeremy Smith made another kick through but failed to capitalise on the touch down this time round. Just moments later Smith charged through a gap in the Crusaders defence and touched down but an earlier forward pass prevented the Wildcats from adding points to the board.

Wakefield continued to apply the pressure but a handling error from the home side regained Crusaders possession. A string of visiting tries finished the game for Wakefield and gave the Welsh side the 2 points. Mellars crossed over for The Crusdaers followed by tries from both James and Kear to end the game on 40 points to 6 to The Crusaders.

The next game at The Rapid Solicitors Stadium is on Sunday 21st August as The Wildcats take on local rivals Castleford Tigers in what is set to be another electric Rugby League derby! Tickets are priced at just £18 for adults and £10 for concessions if you are a Silver Member.

Tickets are available by calling 01924 211611 or calling to the Wildcats Superstore on Doncaster Road – don’t miss out on one of the most talked about derby’s in the game!

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts