Wakefield suffer at the hands of Saints

posted on 10 July 2011

The Wakefield Trinity Wildcats fell to a Saint Helens defeat this afternoon at The Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

Despite a creative start from Wakefield with some great kicking skills from Tommy Lee, Saints were the first to get on the score board with Eastmond and Foster touching down for the away team within 3 minutes of each other. With the young winger Foster converting both tries, the scores stood at 0-12

Wakefield reacted with some strong attacking play and had a number of attempts on the try line. A string of handling errors from the travelling side allowed Wakefield to fight on their line but despite a few close battles, the Wildcats failed to capitalise.

It was Saints who were next to score, with Wilkin crossing over in the 24th minute. Eastmond extended Saints lead as he touched down shortly afterwards, with Foster continuing his 100% conversion rate the scores now stood at 24-0 in Saint Helens favour.

The last ten minutes were hard fought out by both teams but it was Wakefield who failed to get off the mark before the half time break. Saints went over again with Foster with just 2 minutes to go and to further extend the lead, Lomax touched down after the hooter had blown. Jamie Foster added the extras and the half time score stood at 34-0 to Saint Helens.

The second half started with Wakefield determined to add some points to the board. The home side battled in defence and showed spells of great attacking play as they got close to their line. Luke George left the field injured shortly into the half and did not return throughout the rest of the game.

Saint Helens were again first to score in this half, a touchdown from centre Francis Meli took the scores to 40 points to nil after 52 minutes. Another try came from the visitors just five minutes later as Chris Flannery ploughed through a gap in the Wakefield defence. Jamie Foster added the extras and left the score board standing at 46 points to nil.

With the full time hooter looming ever closer and Wakefield still to score, things were looking increasingly gloomier for the boys in red, white and blue. However Wakefield upped their defence and kept Saints out through a full set of 6 right on the try line showing pure grit and determination. A forward pass helped prevent the away team from further extending the lead and the scores remained at 0-46.

With just four minutes to go, a smart pass was collected by Murphy, who saw a hole in the Saints defence and charged over in the corner. Kieran Hyde successfully converted the try to take Wakefield off the mark and leave the scores at 6-46 at full time.

The Man of The Match was awarded to prop forward Kyle Amor whose constant battle in defence did not go unnoticed. The Wildcats showed a much stronger second half which they must now build on as they prepare for a clash against Wigan next Friday at The DW Stadium. Tickets are available from The Wildcats Superstore or by calling 01924 211611.

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts