Wildcats feel Hull KR heat

posted on 3 July 2011

The Wakefield Trinity Wildcats lost out to Hull KR this afternoon at Craven Park in Hull.

On a glorious sunny day, it was Hull KR who took the lead just two minutes gone when Liam Colbon got the first try of the afternoon, a missed conversion by Dobson left the scores at 4-0.

Wakefield made a quick fire response though. After some terrific skill by Motu Tony, Mariano launched a precise kick that caused havoc among the Hull KR defence and Kevin Henderson levelled the game. Following a missed conversion, the score was 4 all.

However it was Hull KR that soon went back in front with a try from former Wildcat, Peter Fox. The Wildcats fought back though and demonstrated some great improvements from the week before. The away team were the next to get points on the board with a try from Tommy Lee. Powerful prop Kyle Amor burst into bags of space and offloaded to send the supporting half back over the line. Josh Griffin took kicking responsibilities this week following Gareth Moore’s injury and converted a kick under the posts to put Wakefield ahead 10-8.

Hull hit back instantly though through Michael Dobson who converted his own try to put Hull KR back in front in the 21st minute at 14-10. Wakefield continued to defend well and displayed some excellent defensive tackles and precise kicks. They were unlucky to go further behind when following some quick passing from Hull, Jake Webster went over for the home side, another missed conversion left the score at 18-10.

Dobson extended the Hull KR lead just before half time, and a further two quick fire tries from Colbon and Fox respectively left the scores at 34-10 as the half time hooter blew.

The Wildcats came out fighting in the second half but the home side were the first to touch down again with a try from Clint Newton. The scores soon stood at 40-10 in the Rovers favour.

Despite the best defensive efforts of young hooker Matthew Wildie, Jake Webster crossed over again for Hull with Peter Fox getting his hat-trick try just moments later. Two unsuccessful conversions meant the scores were now at 48-10 to Hull KR. The home sides good run continued with a touch down from Welham.

The Wildcats did not give in and continued to attack their line. An intelligent pass from Kyle Amor gave Kieran Hyde a chance to score but the half back failed to capitalise.
Hull were next on the score board with Clint Newton and then Welham shortly afterwards. 2 successful conversions took the scores to 64-10. Wakefield’s resilience was demonstrated moments later with a touch down from Luke George leaving the scores at 64-14 with just minutes to go.

Liam Colbon then scored another for Hull KR and the Full Time score was 70-14 to the home side.

Both teams showed great stamina in the intense heat but it was Hull KR that played to the conditions better and took home the two points. The Wildcats take on St.Helens next Sunday at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium and will be eager to bounce back and claim a victory. Don’t miss out on the action and purchase your tickets from the Wildcats Superstore or by calling 01924 211611

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts