posted on 11 March 2012

A hat-trick for Ben Cockayne proved in vein for the Wildcats as Huddersfield finished strongly to go top of Stobart Super League XVII.

The Wildcats were undone by the new leaders of Stobart Super League XVII.

Cockayne completed his triple strike with two scores prior to the hour mark that seemed to have the Wildcats in the chase for the two points but first half tries for Jermain McGillvary (2) and Larne Patrick were added to by Kevin Brown and Joe Wardle (2) in the second period to guide the Giants to the Super League summit.

The Wildcats were unchanged from their defeat to Hull FC whilst Nathan Brown left out Luke George following his hat-trick against St. Helens.

It was the other wing where the scoring begun as Danny Brough shrugged off Steve Southern, teased the Wildcats defensive line before passing to Leroy Cudjoe who put McGillvary in on the overlap.

Despite falling behind the Wildcats started to get on top in terms of territory, forcing the Giants to kick from their own half on numerous occasions.

But it was still the visitors who struck next as Cudjoe made light of the three tacklers around him to get his arms free and feed McGillvary who finished well in the corner.

The Wildcats needed a response and aided by some Giants indiscipline they got just that.  After spending around five minutes probing the Huddersfield line they finally found a way through as Cockayne stepped in off his wing and got the ball over the whitewash.

Unfortunately for the home fans this didn’t spark a turnaround and it was the Giants who looked the more threatening with ball in hand.  A sweeping right to left move looked to have put Aaron Murphy in but the final pass was ruled forward to deny the former Wildcat.

There was no doubt about the next score though as the Wildcats were ripped open up the middle and Patrick supported the break to canter in under the sticks.

Brough converted that and landed a penalty following a high shot to put the Giants firmly in command at the interval.

The Wildcats needed the next score of the game after the break and on the back of some Huddersfield indiscipline it duly arrived.

Isaac John, who went on to have the best game of his short time at the Wildcats so far, fired a superb pass to Cockayne who sprinted over.

This buoyed Richard Agar’s men who continued to pen the visitors in their own half and forced a drop-out as the pressure built.

Again it was penalties and errors that were proving the Giants undoing and John fired another excellent cut-out ball to Cockayne who completed his hat-trick by cutting in towards the sticks to give the Kiwi an easier conversion.

Still trailing but sensing a chance to take the game, the Wildcats own enthusiasm got the better of them and they too saw that result in penalties and easy metres up field for the Giants.  Huddersfield needed no second invitation and Wardle went through a gaping hole on the left hand side to put the game beyond the reach of the home side.

Trinity didn’t throw in the towel and the impressive John looked to have scored a try of his own when he hunted down his own grubber but James Child was on the spot to award the 20 metre restart to Huddersfield.

Wakefield finished sloppily and after Brown showed a dummy and accelerated to the line the game was dead and buried with Wardle getting a second of his own after the Giants had players queuing up to score once the ball came loose following a Kyle Wood knock-on.

Wildcats: Mathers, Fox, Collis, Mellars, Cockayne, John, Smith, Raleigh, Aiton, Southern, Kirmond, Lauitiiti, Washbrook. Replacements: Wood, Johnson, Walshaw, Wilkes.

Giants: Eden, McGillvary, Cudjoe, Wardle, Murphy, Grix, Brough, Crabtree, Lee, Gilmour, Chan, Fairbank, Brown. Faiumu, Lunt, Patrick, Lawrence.

Referee: Mr J. Child

Attendance: 8,794

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts