posted on 9 April 2012

A clinical Warriors showing proved too much for a gutsy Wildcats effort at a rain soaked DW Stadium.

The Wildcats put in a gutsy display against the Warriors.

Braces for George Carmont and Darrell Goulding were added to by Tommy Leuluai, Antony Gelling and Josh Charnley with Kyle Wood’s late try something the Wildcats deserved for their efforts throughout the eighty minutes.

In what was the second game in four days, Richard Agar made seven changes to his starting line-up with Motu Tony, Liam Kay, Matty Wildie and Andy Ellis all getting their first taste of action in 2012 with Lucas Walshaw also included.

Danny Washbrook skippered the side in the absence of Steve Southern and Danny Kirmond (both calf strains) with Paul Aiton drafted into the squad in place of Southern.

After a slow start to the game the Warriors got the scoreboard ticking on 14 minutes, taking advantage of a cheap Wildcats penalty.

Ellis was penalised for hanging on around the ankles of the Wigan man and once the penalty put the hosts within striking distance, Leuluai took on the line himself from five metres and had the strength to ride the tackle and get over for the try.

On the rare moments Wakefield had any ball early on they showed some invention with Isaac John kicking for Peter Fox who took it on the fly but in cutting inside was comfortably dealth with by the Warriors defence.

It was a kick to that side of the field that produced a second score for the home side as Finch lofted the ball to the left wing and Gelling got in behind Fox to dot down.

A third try arrived minutes later when a Gareth Hock had the Wildcats on the back foot, with a Lima burst leaving the defence reeling on the left edge and Sam Tomkins made the decisive pass to Goulding who cantered in.

The Wildcats were by no means being overrun by the Warriors but the home side were very much in control and there was little for either set of fans to get overly excited about. Paul Aiton lost the ball in the tackle on halfway and when Sam Tomkins picked up the loose ball and kicked through, Wakefield were penalised for obstruction and Josh Charnley added a penalty to his solitary conversion of the half.

Although starting the second half briefly on the front foot it was the cherry and whites who were celebrating again after 44 minutes.

Gelling scooped up a grubber, stepped in off his wing and under pressure from Wildcats defenders pulled out a fantastic offload for Carmont to score.

Carmont turned provider for Charnley moments later after a  delicate pass had put the centre streaking clear and at this  point Wigan looked in the mood to rack up a huge score.

But Wakefield repelled an onslaught to keep the tide at bay but sheer weight of pressure eventually told and it was another moment of brilliance from Sam Tomkins as he flicked a pass for Goulding to score.

Another brief spell of pressure finally got Wakefield some reward from the afternoon as Wood threw the dummy to create himself a year of space and he scampered through the gap to score.

The last word went to the Warriors and Carmont as he breezed through a hole in the tiring Wildcats defence to score.

Wildcats: Tony, Fox, Sykes, Mellars, Kay, John, Wood, Wilkes, Ellis, Amor, Walshaw, Mariano, Washbrook. Replacements: Aiton, Johnson, Wildie, Trout.

Warriors: Sam Tomkins, Charnley, Goulding, Carmont, Gelling, Finch, Leuluai, Logan Tomkins, Lima, Hansen, Hock, Tuson. Replacements: Lauaki, Dudson, Hughes, McIlorum.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts