posted on 21 April 2012

Head Coach Richard Agar had mixed emotions after his side hung on for victory against Salford City Reds.

Richard Agar had mixed feelings after seeing his side cling on to victory over Salford City Reds.

A dominant first half performance had the Wildcats in control and a couple of Paul Sykes penalties in the second half seemed to suggest a comfortable victory.

But a late Salford rally saw them almost take the two points and whilst pleased with his sides improvement in the first half, Agar conceded his team were left hanging on towards the end.

“The game should have been over at half-time,” Agar told the press.

“I thought we played some great football in the first half and should have had at least another two tries on the board which would have made the game dead and buried.

“I thought we held on at the end.  In the last fifteen minutes we were all over the shop defensively and maybe that’s a team that hasn’t won many games this year and were hanging on a bit.

“First half we played some really good stuff and defended really well.  The turnaround in the second half and the way we finished the game there’s no doubt we held on at the end.”

After victory over Catalan Dragons the Wildcats hit a dip in their performance levels with Agar calling in the week for a far better defensive showing from his players.

“The manner of our performance was very important.  In the first six or seven rounds we thought we performed well.

“We were full of enthusiasm, endeavour and we played in the right spirit.  Our last four league outings – Wigan apart – we’ve been way below where we felt we’d been and giving ourselves a shot of winning games.

“We haven’t been in those games at all.  Turning around tonight it was important.

“We’ve had a longer turnaround and we think we’re a team that hasn’t played as well as it can on shorter turnarounds.

“The longer turnaround has helped our preparation and I thought it showed in the first half.

“Our composure with the ball, our kicking game and some of our defensive efforts on the edge were not what they were in the first half.

“We’ll take the win, have a look at it in the week and I think we reminded ourselves that when we do the right thing we look like a team that has got some good football in us.”

Although not happy with his sides second half showing, Agar did praise the tackle of Peter Fox on Luke Patten when the Wildcats were outnumbered on their right edge with the clock winding down.

“I thought it was a magnificent tackle,” said Agar of Fox’s effort.

“We were in trouble and it was all getting a bit quick for us.

“Of course we expected Salford in the second half to throw a bit more at us.  At the end of the game chasing it we knew they’d shift the ball about and offload.

“They got us on numbers and Joel Moon is a big threat out there.  The tackle that Peter came up with on Luke Patten probably saved the game for us.

“I’m disappointed with our lack of composure on both sides of the ball in the second half and that might be symptomatic of not winning games and not performing well so some anxiety set in.

“Hopefully getting over the line will do us the world of good and give us something to build on.”

Agar reported that Oliver Wilkes may have suffered ligament damage to his thumb but Peter Fox had no long term ill effects of his brave tackle on Luke Patten.

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts