posted on 3 June 2012

Wildcats Head Coach Richard Agar was pleased to witness his side earn a solid win over London Broncos.

Richard Agar was pleased with what he described as a 'solid' victory.

At a rain soaked Rapid Solicitors Stadium, Wakefield controlled the ball well in trying conditions and made their most of their opportunities to cruise to victory and earn back-to-back wins for the first time in 2012.

Although not the Wildcats most exciting showing of the campaign so far, it was arguably their most efficient, with Agar largely satisfied with his side’s display.

“I don’t think it was ever going to be spectacular given the fairly testing conditions but I do think we started the game very well,” said Agar after the game.

“For that first 20-25 minutes, I wouldn’t say it was spectacular but I’d say we played some really good rugby given the conditions.  We can take out of it that we’ve grinded a win out.

“Grinding wins out is something that we certainly haven’t done much of at times this year when we could have adopted a more high completion policy.

“I thought we did that really well.  To throw a 92% completion in and kick-chase like we did was a really big factor in the game and second half we were probably a bit disappointed with how we played when they had twelve men on.

“A couple of opportunities in the first half we might have felt we should have taken but overall it was a fairly solid all round performance.”

It was all the more satisfying a result for the Trinity supporters after being second best across the park in the capital earlier this year, and Agar had a tinge of disappointment that the Wildcats couldn’t inflict on the Broncos what they had done to the Wildcats in March by keeping them scoreless.

“Defensively, I thought we were very good for most of it,” Agar commented.

“Their best chances came on kick plays and Peter Fox took some tremendous balls in difficult conditions under pressure and looked very confident down there.

“I guess the disappointment is the way they’ve scored is something we’ve practised for all week because it’s very much part of the way they play.

“We’ve got some disappointment that we didn’t nil them and disappointment in the way that we conceded.

“Probably a criticism of our team today was that we could have got a little more impact from our bench players.

“We had some good, consistent individuals for the eighty minutes out there.”

The Wildcats now look ahead to the visit of Hull FC and an opportunity to make it three victories on the spin, with Agar saying this period of games was targeted a while ago.

After letting themselves down in some of their second half performances in 2012, whilst not entirely pleased with his team’s second forty minutes, Agar wasn’t grumbling with a steady second period.

“We said a number of weeks ago that this run of games was a really important one.  We’ve got our first back-to-back victories and I think all along our boys have been very spirited and going into games thinking they can win and that’s not going to change for us.

“If things turn our way then it would be nice to say we can have a say in the top eight but at the moment we’re looking for week-to-week performances and trying to be as consistent as we possibly can.

“I don’t think our starts to games has been a problem for this year and I think we’ve put in some outstanding first halves.  We’ve probably looked to the way we’ve started some second halves and the way we’ve finished games.

“We weren’t completely happy with how we played second half but we were solid.  If we’re solid, making our tackles and kick-chasing well then I think we’ve got to give ourselves plenty to build off and always a chance.”

It wasn’t all good news for the Wildcats after the game with Agar revealing that Danny Kirmond was being taken to hospital with a suspected fractured cheekbone.

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts