posted on 3 June 2012

The Wildcats cruised to victory over London Broncos on a sodden day at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

Ali Lauitiiti scored a memorable try in the Wildcats win.

Richard Agar’s men were comfortable throughout and kept the Broncos scoreless for 65 minutes as tries from Vince Mellars, Dean Collis and Ali Lauitiiti opened up a healthy half-time lead.

Danny Kirmond’s score early in the second half effectively ended the tie as a contest and although Scott Wheeldon did get over the whitewash for the inept Broncos, it was a straightforward win that made it back-to-back wins for the boys in red, white and blue for the first time since 2010.

After three successive penalties conceded on their own line by the Broncos the Wildcats drew first blood through Mellars after just five minutes.  Paul Aiton teased the London defensive line and found Sykes who put Lauitiiti half through a gap and he got his hands free to put his fellow Kiwi in from close range.

Sykes was unsuccessful with his conversion but on fourteen minutes the former London man slotted a fifteen metre penalty to extend the Wildcats’ early lead.

London’s first real venture into Wildcats territory with ball in hand was short lived and sparked a counter attack from which Collis scored the second try of the afternoon.

Fox swooped on a loose ball and after a good break further up field from Kirmond, Tim Smith’s excellent pass put Collis on the outside of his man and in for the try.

A third Trinity score was all about the power of Lauitiiti.  He swatted off the attention of the first Broncos defender twenty metres out and gave similar treatment to two more before bulldozing over the top of Luke Dorn for a memorable try.

The second half didn’t bring much change in the pattern of the game and the Broncos hopes of mounting a fightback were hampered when Michael Robertson was sin binned for preventing the Wildcats racing to take the 20 metre restart.

Minutes later and after forcing a goal line drop-out, Danny Washbrook beautifully delayed his pass on his 150th appearance to create a gap through which Kirmond glided through to score.

London finally made an impression on the attacking front fifteen minutes from time as Wheeldon rumbled over the top of Andy Raleigh from close range to get the scoreboard ticking for Rob Powell’s men.

But Sykes added his second penalty of the game in front of the packed Fleetmaster North Stand to secure a solid victory for the Wildcats.


Mathers, Fox, Collis, Mellars, Cockayne, Sykes, Smith, Amor, Aiton, Raleigh, Lauitiiti, Kirmond, Washbrook. Replacements: Wood, Southern, Mariano, Wilkes.


Dorn, Dixon, Howell, O’Callaghan, Robertson, Witt, Gower, Kaufusi, Randall, Wheeldon, Rodney, Melling, Bailey. Replacements: Bryant, Clubb, Sarginson, Bolger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts