posted on 3 February 2013

Wakefield Wildcats start to their Super League campaign ended in a 40-6 defeat to Bradford Bulls at the Provident Stadium.

The Wildcats were outgunned by Bradford Bulls at the Provident Stadium.

The hosts scored seven tries in a convincing victory in Francis Cumming’s first game in charge of the Bulls.

Wildcats head coach Richard Agar had mixed news leading into the game after Tim Smith was ruled out through injury. Justin Poore and Reece Lyne debut from the start with Brad Singleton making his first appearance in the red, white and blue from the interchange bench.

It was a nightmare for the visitors as they took charge, Michael Platt opened up the scoring after dropping a golden chance just minutes earlier. The left winger went over following a good team move which included an array of offloads with Jamie Foster kicking the extras.

It wasn’t long before the Bulls lead was doubled through Matty Blythe with the debutant jogging over after a misread by Ben Cockayne. The Wildcats struggled to gain any territory and the little they managed ended in disappointment which was highlighted by a forward pass in the Bulls 20 metre zone.

The small pressure Trinity managed to pose the Bulls defence swiftly ended as prop forward Adam Sidlow barged his way over following another spell of dominance by Francis Cumming’s men.

Things went from bad to worse with Jarrod Sammut bursting through the Wildcats defence from a pass from a scrum midway inside the Wildcats half. The half-back sped through and touched down under pressure from Richard Mathers with Foster missing his first kick of the afternoon.

The half-time hooter signalled the end of a poor opening to the season for Agar’s men which saw all four substitutes used, including the lively Kyle Wood.

The second period started with the same routine as the Bulls continued their incessant pressure. The hosts forced a drop-out which was eventually collected on Bradford’s own 10 metre line before Foster scored the first try of the half. Great half-back play by Kearney ended with a neat grubber which was pounced upon by Foster which meant all three debutants had crossed the line.

As Agar rung the changes from the interchange bench the Bulls continued to have some fun with the inspirational Sammut going over for his second try with Foster converting to leave the scores at 34-0.

The Wildcats were heavily penalised by referee Ben Thaler, three times for answering back as Trinity continued to defend.

Wakefield were given a reprieve as Dean Collis raced 90 metres to score after picking up a lose ball for their first try of the match. Paul Sykes converted as a small consolation for an otherwise torturous afternoon.

Kearney then went over to round off the scoring with Foster booting the extras to make it 40-6.

Bradford: Foster, Kear, Blythe, Lulia, Platt, Sammut, Kearney, Scruton, Diskin, Manuokafoa, Whitehead, Olbison, Walker. Subs: L’Estrange, Addy, Sidlow, Langley.

Wakefield: Mathers, Fox, Collis, Lyne, Cockayne, Sykes, Wildie, Poore, Aiton, Amor, Lauitiiti, Kirmond, Washbrook. Subs: Wood, Wilkes, Singleton, Mariano.

Wildcats host Hull KR next Saturday who also were beaten today at home to Catalan Dragons with tickets now on-sale to see the return of Trinity.

Purchase yours online, from any of our retail outlets either at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium Box Office, Trinity Walk or Ridings Centre stores or y calling 01924 211611 / 201548.

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts