posted on 24 February 2013

Wakefield were edged out against league leaders Huddersfield as a Jermaine McGillvray hat-trick helped the visitors to victory at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

Try scorer Ben Cockayne in action against the Giants.

A last minute call from Richard Silverwood denied the hosts’ victory as the referee ruled that Tim Smith’s pass to name sake Lee was forward much to the frustration of the Wildcats fans.

It was a frenetic start to match and it was the Giants who took the lead, as neat play on the right allowed Jermaine McGillvary to touch down.

Three minutes later and McGillvary was in again, a neat kick from Luke Robinson found the winger in the corner for his second try of the game.

Danny Brough missed his second conversion and the score stood at Wildcats 0-8 Giants.

Trinity responded well though and got their first try as a great offload from Lauitiiti set Richard Mathers away, who handed on for Peter Foxfor Wakefield’s first score. Sykes converted to make it Wildcats 6-8 Giants.

Both sides then applied pressure on one another but defences stood firm.
Richard Agar only made one change to the team that beat London with Lee Smith coming in to replace the injured Reece Lyne in the centres. Smith was heavily involved throughout the game in his first appearanceof 2013.

The next points of the game came five minutes before half time as Wakefield were awarded a penalty for interference at the play the ball. Paul Sykes kicked it from right in front to level the scores at 8-8.

Straight from the kick off a mistake by Trinity saw the Giants awarded a penalty which Danny Brough kicked to restore the visitors lead.

Just before half time and referee Silverwood awarded Huddersfield another penalty. They again went for goal and were successful through Brough as the teams went in 12-8 at half time.

Just before the break Wakefield skipper Danny Kirmond suffered an injury and was not to be seen again in the second half of this contest due to a problem with his left knee.

The visitors again came out of the blocks quicker and McGillvary grabbed his hat-trick after another long ball over the top caught out the Wakefield defence. Brough’s excellent conversion from out wide meant the visitors had breathing space again at 18-8.

The game then became tight and the next score was crucial and with 15 minutesto go it was Wakefield who got it. Great hands down the left saw Ben Cockayne get the ball and expertly grubber through for Lee Smith to score.

Paul Sykes crucially missed the conversion which made the score 18-12 with time running out.

After sustained pressure on the Huddersfield line Wakefield finally went
over with six minutes to go as a long racking pass from Tim Smith found Cockayne again.

Paul Sykes had the chance to level the game at 18-18 from out wide but he missed the conversion.

As Wakefield pushed on and tried to win they broke through in the very
last minute. Lee Smith latched onto another Tim Smith pass and thought he had won it, but Silverwood said it was forward and the Giants took the spoils.

Despite the result there were huge positives in a game the Wildcats could
easily have won on another day as it was an unsuccessful day for both Peter Fox and Andy Raleigh who both made their 150th appearances in Super League.

WILDCATS: Mathers, Fox, Collis, L.Smith, Cockayne, Sykes, T.Smith, Poore, Aiton, Raleigh, Kirmond, Lauitiiti, Washbrrok. SUBS: Wood, Amor, Wilkes, Annakin.

GIANTS: Grix, Murphy, Cudjoe, Wardle, McGillvary, Brough, Robinson, Crabtree, Lunt, Fielden, Ferres, Chan, Fairbank. SUBS: Faiumu, Patrick, Cording, Mullally.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts