posted on 26 April 2013

A penalty goal from Lee Smith four minutes from time proved decisive as the Wildcats edged out a tight contest with Widnes Vikings.

Lee Smith kicked a decisive penalty goal late on.

Smith slotted over from 30 metres to give Wakefield an eight-point advantage with a Phil Jospeh try  in the final play of the game giving the game a much tighter look.

Paul Aiton had opened the scoring for the Wildcats after just 40 seconds, with further Trinity tries coming from Tim Smith, Ben Cockayne, Lee Smith and a barnstorming effort from Oliver Wilkes.

The Vikings had only lost once on home turf all season before tonight and the Wildcats were made to work hard all the way with a Kevin Brown brace in addition to four-pointers for Chris Dean, Joe Mellor and Joseph’s last gasp try.

Richard Agar recalled a host of regulars following last week’s cup victory over Hemel Stags although Justin Poore wasn’t selected given a history of knee problems and the effect of the Widnes ipitch.

Trinity got off to a dream start after just forty seconds as the Wildcats went from 30 metres off their own line to under the sticks through Aiton, Dean Collis breaking down the right and kicking inside intelligently, Aiton getting to the bouncing ball first and going in.

It was a lead that lasted just three minutes when Brown grubbered through, the ball taking a wicked bounce in front of Lee Smith and although Mellor couldn’t get to the ball, Brown followed up and touched down, the video referee awarding the try.

The hosts controlled territory after the early points flurry and nearly got their rewards when Hock powered his way to the line but lost the ball in his attempts to get it down.  Good work by Ben Cockayne earned a penalty on halfway immediately after that near miss and from that resultant set Tim Smith sold Widnes a dummy and cruised in under the sticks from ten metres.

Wakefield’s visits to the Widnes 20 metre zone were less frequent than the home side but after 25 minutes the Wildcats got into the final quarter of the field and again returned with points.  Mellor got a touch on the all to present a repeat set and Sykes made the killer final pass to Cockayne who ducked and dived his way over the line.

Cockayne had another rightly chalked off by the video referee moments later and when the Vikings had a reprieve courtesy of a forward pass call by Ben Thaler.  As Widnes moved downfield, Hanbury grubbered through on the last and after being made to look silly by the vounce of the ball early on, Lee Smith hesitated, the ball flew off his boot and Chris Dean picked up before offloading to Mellor who waltzed in.

Widnes drew the scores level five minutes into the second half and again it as the grubber kick that caused the problems.  Brown put the kick in, Ah Van chased down and as he approached the touchline he flicked the ball inside where Brown was following up to scamper 20 metres to the try line.

The home side upped the ante buoyed by the try and after yet another kick earned a repeat set via the goal line drop out, the game got too quick for the Wakefield defence and Dean was soon in at the right hand corner.

Trinity desperately needed something to go their way to halt the Widnes momentum and they got in when Lauitiiti punched the ball from the grasp of Eamonn O’Carroll but it was deemed a knock-on.  Wakefield didn’t ask any questions and after Tim Smith held the defensive line, he found Sykes who popped up an inside ball for Lee Smith to make up for his earlier error.

If there was luck about that score there was none moments later when Wilkes took the ball up 40 metres out, bounced away the first two attempted tackles and charged his way to the line, carrying two further defenders with him.

The Wildcats were defending in front of their own supporters and doing the travelling fans proud with a hugely resilient effort to repel the Vikings attacks.  Up the other end, Sykes missed an attempted drop goal attempt with nine minutes to go and six points in the game but a few moments later Ben Cross duly gave away a penalty and Lee Smith slotted over from 25 metres.

Joseph forced his way over the line after the hooter had sounded after Widnes threw the ball around on the final play but even with Brown’s conversion, there was no taking a deserved win away from the Wildcats.

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts