posted on 8 July 2013

Wakefield recorded their fourth consecutive win as they defeated Widnes 24-14 at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium to move five points clear of their opponents.

The Wildcats secured a narrow victory against the Vikings.

In a game full of mistakes tries either side of the half-time were key as the Wildcats, sporting their one-off red shirt in support of Heart Research UK, continued their winning run.

Head coach Richard Agar brought Matty Wildie back into the 17-man squad meanwhile the Vikings made several changes to the team that lost to Leeds with young half-back Grant Gore included on the bench.

It didn’t take long for Trinity to open the scoring as Dean Collis latched onto a superb kick through from full-back Richard Mathers to dive over.

The joy was short lived for the centre though as he limped off moments later with a reoccurring hamstring injury leaving Frankie Mariano to take his place in the centres.

Widnes got their first try of the game seven minutes later as Patrick Ah Van went over in the corner following a long pass over the top. The winger went close again moments later but was unable to take the ball with space ahead of him.

The game then became very scrappy with both teams making numerous errors, but after a lull in the game Ali Lauitiiti got the Wildcats second try ten minutes before half time as he dummied his way over from close range.

Lee Smith’s second successful conversion meant the Wildcats led 12-4.

The home side nearly extended that lead a minute before the break but Ben Cockayne was pulled down just short of the line after more good work from Lauitiiti.

The second-half began the same as the first for Trinity as they grabbed their third try of the game through Frankie Mariano after superb play from Ben Cockayne.

Another quick try then followed for Richard Agar’s men as a break from Frankie Mariano led to Ben Cockayne turning provider again for Matty Wildie to score.

Lee Smith once again converted to give Wakefield a comfortable 24-4 lead.

Widnes gave themselves a lifeline on the hour mark as England international Gareth Hock broke through to score, however winger Jack Owens was unable to convert for the second time.

The visitors were nearly over again shortly after but a heroic tackle by Richard Mathers prevented Hep Cahill from scoring.

They weren’t to be denied four minutes from time however as Rhys Hanbury latched onto another long ball to score, Owens conversion made the score 24-14 but it was too late as Wakefield moved back within one point of the playoffs.

Wildcats: Mathers, Fox, Collis, L. Smith, Cockayne, Sykes, T. Smith, Poore, Aiton, Amor, Mariano, Kirmond (c), Washbrook. Replacements: Raleigh, Lauitiiti, Wilkes, Wildie.

Vikings: Hanbury, Owens, Phelps, Marsh, Ah Van, Brown, Craven, O’Carroll, Clarke, Gerrard, Hock, Allen, Cahill. Replacements: Leuluai, Kavanagh, Joseph, Gore.

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts