posted on 10 August 2013

Wakefield’s play-off dreams faded further as Warrington kept up their own hopes of the league leaders shield.

Liam Kay marked his first Super League start of the year with a breakaway try in the second half to add to scores for Danny Kirmond and Frankie Mariano in the first half.

Although Stefan Ratchford didn’t have his kicking boots on, with just one successful conversion all afternoon, tries for Joel Monaghan (2), Mickey Higham, Chris Riley and Chris Bridge ensured the hosts took the spoils.

Richard Agar called Kay into his team at the expense of Peter Fox with Mariano starting at centre.  Bobbie Goulding made his Super League debut from the bench whilst Oliver Wilkes returned to the seventeen.

Warrington had the better of earlier territory and made it count after less than ten minutes.  Riley weaved his way infield off the left wing, got an offload out in centre field and the Wolves got the ball to the right wing in quick time to put Joel Monaghan in at the corner.

It was a testing first 15 minutes for the Wildcats, rarely out of their own half and with little possession to speak of.  They returned from their first foray into the Wolves defensive third resulted in points as Tim Smith hung a kick up to the right, Mariano pulled it into his chest and his sheer size and power saw him fall and twist over the line.

Parity was short lived for the Wildcats as Wire earned a penalty 30 metres out and from the resultant set created a mismatch on the right from which Hodgson benefitted to straighten and drive his way over the line.

Trinity weren’t prepared to lie down and let Warrington have it all their own way and a strong defensive set restricting the hosts to just 30 metres set the platform from which some slick handling saw the two Smith’s combine to put Kirmond powering over Hodgson and over the line.

Warrington had the last say on the half though, Michael Monaghan carving through the centre of the field and although Mathers halted his progress, the ball found it way into the hands of Higham who dotted down under the sticks.

Agar’s men started the half brightly, presented with field position by some Warrington errors but they couldn’t captialise, Tautai getting to a grubber kick a second too late the closest the visitors came to scoring.

Wire made Wakefield pay for not making the most of that pressure with back-to-back tries.  First Joel Monaghan finished off an overlap and then Bridge had a run-in after Westwood was sent cantering through the defence from an inside ball.

Wakefield were under the pump and in danger of the game going away from them.  It was therefore a relief when an opportunistic bit of play from Kay saw the winger sprint 80 metres to score on his first Super League start of the year.

That brought the visitors to within eight points but a harsh call on Washbrook for an alleged ball steal proved costly as Warrington worked the ball from right to left to allow Riley to finish in the corner.

This is Wakefield. Together We Are Stronger.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts