posted on 17 March 2014

Wakefield’s academy suffered on their trip to the capital, as the Broncos ran in nine tries to their tally of three.

Jordan Crowther scored in a heavy defeat for the Wildcats under 19's.

The London side chalked up efforts from Sean Osbourne, Joe Keyes (2), Dan Igbinediou (2), Toby Everett, Kieron Morgan, Kameran Pearce Paul and Harvey Burnett.

Wakefield’s reply came via Tom Johnstone, Ben Cornell and Jordan Crowther but to no avail.

A combination of slack defending, strange refereeing decisions and some superb individual displays from the home side contributed to Wakey’s downfall, but there were a number of positives to take away from the contest, including their vast improvement just  after half time.

The Broncos had scored their first try within five minutes, Wakefield conceded a penalty in their own ten after a high tackle and from the resultant tap Osbourne spotted a gap to scramble over and give the hosts an early 4-0 lead.

Despite the early setback, it didn’t take Wakefield long to find a response, through Tom Johnstone after good work by Max Jowitt; who converted, but that was as good as it got for the Wildcats before the halftime whistle.

The Londoners touched down a further four times and added a penalty to go into half-time with a commanding 30-6 advantage.

Two halfway line efforts from Joe Keyes sandwiched Dan Igbinediou’s effort from a few yards out and the Broncos built up a 22-6 lead.

Toby Everett added the sixth and final try of a frantic first half, before Bronco’s Charlie Lawrence rounded off the first period scoring with a kick for goal after a strange penalty decision against Trinity.

Igbinediou appeared to strike a Wildcats player after knocking on in the tackle, yet somehow won his side a penalty which Lawrence gratefully accepted.

Wakefield’s high penalty count did them no favours and continually stung them as the Broncos kept them pinned in their half for much of the first forty minutes.

Whatever ‘Cats coach Stuart Dickens said at half-time clearly had a positive effect on his team, as they came out of the break firing, for twenty minutes at least.

They reduced the penalty count and noticeably improved their ball retention, so it was no surprise when they got the first score of the half within ten minutes of the restart.

Frazer Morris; fresh from the bench, busted a tackle deep into the Broncos half before drawing the final man and eventually getting the ball to Ben Cornell who coasted in.

Wakefield still faced a 30-12 deficit, but already looked like a totally different team to that of the first half.

They continued to pile the pressure on the Broncos defence and would’ve scored again but for several handling errors.

Ultimately Wakefield’s initial improvement flattered to deceive and it was the home side who claimed the next score, Kieron Morgan stepping back in from the touchline to dot down.

The Wildcats did manage another try not long after, when Jordan Crowther added his side’s third score to make it 36-18.

That was as good as it got for the travelling team as the Broncos proceeded to add gloss to the score line with three tries in the last ten minutes.

First Kameron Pearce Paul coasted over before a fine individual effort from long range by Harvey Burnett.

Igbinediou completed the scoring with his second of the afternoon from Keyes’ cross-field kick, following another strange call by the match official as he awarded possession back to the Broncos despite the Wildcats appearing to win the ball fairly in a one on one tackle.

Lawrence’s nudged over his eight kick of the match to leave the final score line poised at 52-10 to the Broncos and leave Wakefield feeling a sense of travel sickness.

Next up for Wakefield is the visit of St Helens to the Rapid Solicitors stadium, where they will be looking to bounce back with a win and a much improved performance.

Report by Callum Wood.


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts