posted on 23 March 2014

Wakefield put up a stern fight against a strong visiting St. Helens side before faltering in the final quarter.

First team squad member Max Jowitt created the Wildcats solitary try. Picture courtesy of Ste Watkinson.

The home side had gone into half time level at 6-6 and were only one score behind with twenty minutes to play, before a spell of four tries in twelve second half minutes saw them comfortably beaten 32-6.

Jacob Ware got Wakefield’s only try of the afternoon, whilst St Helens managed scores from Charnock (2), Ross McCauley, Dan Abram, Andre Savelio and Aaron Smith on the way to their win.

The game was played under a siege of rain and was marred by a procession of handling errors, as both sets of youngsters struggled to get to grips with the conditions during the first period.

Despite the poor weather Wakefield did manage to grab an early lead. Max Jowitt burst through and drew his man before feeding the ball to Ware who was able to coast in unopposed under the posts.

Jowitt knocked over the extras to give Trinity a 6-0 lead with just over ten minutes on the clock.

Those were to be Trinity’s last points of the afternoon, though the first half was anything but a one sided affair.

Saints went all out in their efforts to overturn the deficit but struggled to break down Wakefield’s well organised, resilient defensive line.

They did manage to get back on equal terms after 23 minutes, when the impressive Lewis Charnock took two defenders over the line with him and somehow managed to get the ball down.

He converted his own try and with that concluded the first half scoring, leaving the halftime score perfectly poised at six apiece.

The second period was a different affair to the first, the Wildcats held off an onslaught from the Saints for the first twenty minutes of the half, but cracks were beginning to show as Wakefield’s penalty count began to rise at an alarming rate.

Charnock converted his second try of the afternoon on the hour mark to extend St. Helens’ lead to 18-6; before the away side bagged a further three tries to add gloss to the score line before the final whistle.

Abram went over in the corner after collecting a great offload from Matthew Fleming, and close range scores from Savelio and Smith within a minute of each other followed.

Charnock managed to convert one to leave the final score at 32-6 to the Saints.

The margin of victory was harsh on Trinity, who defended excellently for the majority of the game before eventually running out of steam.

If Wakefield can keep their display from the first hour going for a full game they will be tough opponents for any team, next up for them is a trip to Hull KR in a weeks’ time where they will be looking for their first league win of the season.

Wildcats: Jowitt, Conway, Holt, Ware, Brereton, Megretton, Lee, Teanby, Mowles, Morris, Crowther, Walton, Kilday. REPLACEMENTS: Cornell, Sampson, Leeming, Douglas.

Report by Callum Wood


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts