posted on 9 March 2014

The Wildcats romped to a first win of the season with a dominant display against a woeful Catalans Dragons.

Trinity had the match in the bag at half-time with a 32-0 lead and added to that in the second period with braces of tries for Taulima Tautai, Reece Lyne and Pita Godinet whilst there was also a score for Daniel Smith the returning Jon Molloy.

Elliot Whitehead (2) and Leon Pryce scored late consolation scores whilst Jarrod Sammut again had a 100% record with the boot and was at the forefront of many of the Trinity tries.

Richard Agar started the day by handing debuts to Nick Scruton and loan signing Chris Riley whilst Matty Wildie and Molly had their first involvements of the campaign from the bench.

The Dragons were without 11 players and it showed as they were comfortably second best at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

Rarely has a Super League match at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium seen such a one-sided first half but the first forty minutes saw the Wildcats run riot against a woeful Dragons.

Trinity dominated early possession and territory but it wasn’t until 13 minutes when they made it count.  Sammut launched a high kick that Brent Webb didn’t come close to taking and Tautai was the quickest to react to gleefully get the ball rolling.

Sammut was adding another two points with  the boot just shy of the midway point of the half after Tautai has the ball stripped from his grasp ten metres out and from the resultant restart the Dragons were caught offside and sensing blood, Trinity struck.

Tautai took the ball with seemingly little on but he spotted a gap and was allowed to charge through it with little resistance from the visitors and double his tally for the afternoon.

The Samoan prop was involved again in the very next set, taking the second carry and bursting through some flimsy attempts at a tackle from three Catalans players, racing up to halfway and having Molloy in support who weaved his way to the line, was hauled down just short but not held and bounced his way over the whitewash.

Catalans were all over the place and Wakefield were taking no mercy.  Sammut was again involved, offloading to McShane ten metres out and after the hooker had assessed his options he slid in a grubber and Lyne simply had the most determination to get to the ball first.

At one stage, the Dragons had just one set in ten and within that use of the ball dropped it on the second tackle. Sammut was proving reliable with the boot from the tee, but out of hand he launched a high bomb, chased it himself and ripped the ball away from the Dragons full-back then had the awareness to loop the ball to Lyne for the centre to score.  Sammut added his sixth goal and Trinity went in 32-0 up at the interval.

Catalans couldn’t be much worse in the second half and despite a little bit more ball it was Godinet who kept the scoreboard operators in business.  First, Elliot Whitehead bough a Godinet dummy to send the scrum-half scampering through a hole ten metres out before the scrum-half yet again intercepted on his own line and raced 100 metres to touchdown.

Sykes took a cut-out pass from Mathers to cross before Whitehead added his second with just a minute remaining.

WILDCATS: Mathers, Fox, Sykes, Lyne, Riley, Sammut, Godinet, Scruton, McShane, Tautai, Lauitiiti, Kirmond (c), Washbrook. REPLACEMENTS: Wildie, Ryan, Smith, Molloy


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts