posted on 18 April 2014

A strong second half showing took Castleford Tigers to derby day bragging rights at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

A quickfire double at the start of the second period from Reece Lyne and Jarrod Sammut had brought Trinity to within a converted try after first half scores from McShane and Sammut.

But the Tigers weathered the storm and came strong with a double for Daryl Clark and further tries for Richard Owen (2), Scott Wheeldon,  Justin Carney and Liam Finn.

The Tigers were first to strike after just four minutes, a Huby offload creating the opportunity from which Carney was put away and there aren’t many full-backs in the league who can stop the powerhouse winger one-on-one that close to the line.

Even in the early stages the Wildcats were showing their intention to throw the ball around but it was Castleford who extended their lead on 11 minutes as Grant Millington charged through the defence and had Clark in support, the hooker with too much pace for the despairing dive of Kirmond.

The skipper was forced off the field shortly after but Wakefield gave themselves a foothold in the game when McShane tried his luck from close range and after being rolled onto his back over the line, he had the awareness to get the ball down.

McShane scored that one but unfortunately had a hand in the next for Cas, throwing a pass under pressure behind Mathers and the clinical Tigers moved the ball quickly to put Owen in at the corner.

Wakefield were arguably enjoying the better of territory and got their rewards on the half hour.  There was a suggestion of a knock-on in the build up from Ryan but as the visitors paused waiting for a decision, Trinity struck to send Reece Lyne racing clear and Sammut was in support to go in under the sticks.

But Trinity were the architects of their own downfall once more before half-time, Moore conceding a penalty on the last to provide a chance close to the line from which Owen doubled his tally for the day.

At that stage Trinity were still well in the game but their task became more difficult after good work from Oliver Holmes created spaces and Liam Finn picked his pass for Wheeldon to go over.

Trinity couldn’t have asked for a better start to the second half as they worked the ball left on the last, Ryan put in a neat grubber and Lyne chased hard to pick the pocket of Owen and get himself a try.

Wakefield’s momentum increased minutes later when Sammut hoisted a high kick, Mathers competed to force the error and Sammut followed it up to pounce.

The crowd were up and so was Trinity’s confidence but credit to the Tigers, they came through that spell and imposed themselves on the game.  Trinity’s defence was at times heroic but just after the hour mark Finn leapt to claim a Sneyd grubber that had bounced above his head and opened up a 12-point lead after Sneyd’s conversion.

Sneyd hammered over a 10 metre drop goal with seven minutes remaining and Clark added to the scoring in the next set to give the Tigers fans further reason to celebrate.


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts