posted on 6 April 2014

The Wildcats Tetley’s Challenge Cup journey ended at the first hurdle after a dominant Leeds Rhinos progressed.

Pita Godinet scored a consolation for the Wildcats.

Trinity contributed to their own downfall at times with errors that invited Leeds into their half and the visitors were clinical in putting the game out of reach at half-time with the score 32-6.

The second half was a flat affair with the game put to bed and Leeds adding to their points tally to break the half century of points in the final ten minutes.

Ryan Hall, Carl Ablett and Rob Burrow all crossed twice whilst Liam Sutcliffe, Mitch Achurch, Joel Moon and Tom Briscoe all got themselves in on the act with just a moment of individual brilliance from Pita Godinet the only bright spot for the hosts.

Richard Agar recalled Richard Mathers to his team, moving Paul Sykes to stand-off and naming Richard Moore at prop in place of Andy Raleigh, Nick Scruton dropping to the bench where he was joined by Daniel Smith as Chris Riley (unavailable) and Harry Siejka missed out.

Leeds looked dangerous from the outset and Trinity had to have their wits about them in defence to keep them at bay until the 18th minute after Leeds had already bombed a couple of good chances.  A trademark scampering run from Burrow got the ball rolling and his score was quickly followed by Ablett going in from a Sinfield offload after the captain’s grubber kick had earned a repeat set via the drop-out.

Wakefield were camped in their own half at this stage, compounded by putting successive restarts out on the full with McGuire and then Hall making it four tries in ten minutes, McGuire getting in after Fox had failed to deal with the stand-offs kick that had bounced wickedly in front of him.

Four tries in ten minutes was soon five in 15 minutes when Ablett crashed over for his second after taking a short pass close to the line.

There had been little to cheer about for the Wildcats fans but as often has been the case so far this season, Godinet provided a bright spark, dropping his shoulder to ghost past one man before dummying a second to go in under the sticks.

Leeds put the full-stop on an emphatic half when they broke from inside their own half following an offload and Hall had plenty of speed to scorch his way in under the sticks.

Just five minutes into the second half and the scoreboard operators were in business again when Sinfield and McGuire combined to put Achurch galloping through a gap in the heart of the Trinity defence.

Sutcliffe had a similarly clear run to the line minutes later as the Wildcats lost both Danny Kirmond and Daniel Smith to injury in the aftermath of the try.

With the outcome of the game well and truly settled, the final quarter resembled little more than a training session with Briscoe getting his name on the scoresheet after an Ali Lauitiiti short ball ended up in his hands and he raced 50 metres.

Burrow left three Wildcats defenders grasping at thin air en route to his brace and Moon got his name on the scoresheet with a couple of minutes remaining on the clock.

WILDCATS: Mathers, Fox, Collis, Sykes, Lyne, Sammut, Godinet, Anderson, McShane, Moore, Lauitiiti, Kirmond (c), Washbrook. REPLACEMENTS: Smith, Tautai, Scruton, Ryan.

RHINOS: Hardaker, T Briscoe, Watkins, Moon, Hall, Sinfield, McGuire, Leuluai, Burrow, Peacock, Delaney, Ablett, Kirke
Subs: Ward, Bailey, Achurch, Sutcliffe

Referee: James Child

Attendance: 4,483


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts