posted on 4 May 2014

Richard Agar says his sides 23-16 victory over Hull FC showed the belief within the group.

Richard Agar thought his side showed belief to recover from 16-0 down to beat Hull FC.

The Wildcats looked to be heading to a seventh straight defeat when Jason Crooks went over in controversial fashion at the start of the second half to lead Trinity trailing 16-0 in a game where there was little between the two teams.

However, Richard Mathers scored the first of 23 unanswered points as the Wildcats got a third win of the campaign against a shell-shocked Hull side.

Speaking to the press after the game, Agar felt his side put together good aspects of recent performances for longer, highlighting the belief within the group of what they’ve been working towards.

“We feel we’ve been gradually piecing bits of our game together over the last few weeks against some really tough opposition,” he said.

“We’ve had some new combinations in there and some injury problems and I thought we pieced it together today for longer periods today.

“I thought we won despite getting very, very little come our way in the second half.  I was shaking my head at times so even more credit to our boys that they managed to weather that element of the game as well.

“We thought at half-time the game was very much an arm wrestle and it was about who could play in that arm wrestle best for longest.  Despite the score being 12-0 we knew we’d get some opportunities.  Our only gripe in the first half was a little bit of a lack of patience at their end.  We kicked the ball away a couple of times and made some poor errors.

“Lucas should have put that try away and it would have been a closer game.  We were disappointed with the manner we let our second try in.  We didn’t think too much that Hull were throwing at us was causing us that much trouble.  It was a little individual error that cost us some points before half-time but we thought it was a very tight game.

“I thought the first ten minutes of the second half, we were just blown away with some of the things that went against us.  I thought for our side to come back from that, they certainly believed in each other.”

Agar said after the game that Paul McShane will have an x-ray on a possible broken toe that saw him only complete 20 minutes of the game.

You can listen to the full post-match press conference on the Wildcats Audioboo channel by clicking HERE.


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts