posted on 25 May 2014

The Wildcats were comfortably second best against an ever improving Warrington outfit.

Wire crossed through Stefan Ratchford, Ben Currie (2),Chris Bridge, Ryan Atkins and Richard Myler.

Lucas Walshaw crossed for a consolation on a difficult afternoon for Trinity.

Richard Agar named Matty Wildie in his starting line-up as Paul McShane missed out with sore ribs.  Jacob Fairbank started a match for the first time and Richard Owen made his debut in place of Chris Riley.  Richard Moore made his 200th Super League appearance from the replacements bench.

Trinity started relatively brightly and had three successive sets close to the Warrington line after Scott Anderson was the victim of a nasty looking spear tackle that was put on report.  The pressure came to nothing and Warrington worked their way into the game.

On 10 minutes they made the break through, Richard Mathers left grasping at thin air as Ryan Atkins was sent clear and he had Ratchford in support to open the scoring.

Wire dominated large periods of the half but Wakefield valiantly hung in the game but were unable to offer too much of their own by way of attacking threat.

After weathering many Warrington attacks, a quick-fire couple of penalties sparked a points spree.  Currie got his first after a good pass from Bridge put the centre on the outside of his man and on the way to the line before he was in again following a break by Ratchford that was supported by Matty Russell and Wire clinically put the youngster in once more.

Sammut’s restart sailed out on the full and Warrington all but wrapped up the game as Ormsby grounded the ball in the corner despite the protestations of the Wildcats players.  Bridge converted just one of his four goal attempts so Warrington led 18-0 at the break.

Warrington got the scoreboard ticking over again early in the second half, excellent running from Currie bamboozled the Wildcats defence and he made the final pass for Bridge to go over.

Wakefield got their first points of the afternoon minutes later when following a couple of penalties they came within striking distance of the Warrington line, Walshaw picking up at dummy half a couple of metres out and bullying his way over the whitewash.

Atkins and Myler added further scores in the last ten minutes to give an added gloss to a comfortable victory for the visitors.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts