posted on 29 June 2014

A Joe Westerman conversion on the hooter denied the Wildcats a third successive win.

The Wildcats were pegged back at the death by Hull FC.

Nick Scruton’s try had the Wildcats six-points clear in the final stages of the match after earlier tries for Richard Mathers, Reece Lyne and Chris Riley.

But when Yeaman scored his second to give Westerman the chance to level the scores he held his nerve, with Hull’s other scores coming from Setimata Sa and Richard Horne.

The opening quarter, although scoreless, was far from dull as two evenly matched teams traded blows.  Hull FC had the better of the opening ten minutes and it was only some excellent defence in the opening exchanges that kept the hosts level.  Arguably the best chance fell to Richard Owen as Tim Smith’s looping cut-out pass found the winger but as it got within his reach it dipped and the winger couldn’t take it in.

The deadlock was ultimately broken on 34 minutes just seconds after the Wildcats themselves looked destined to score.  Richard Moore picked up a loose pass and with 40 metres of pitch between him and the try line he set off.  But he was chased back and in attempting to offload to Godinet, simply gifted possession back to the visitors.  Jamie Shaul set off on a weaving run and although Trinity scrambled back well, they simply ran out of bodies to stop Sa going over in the right hand corner.

It was an evenly matched first half so it was a fair reflection of the hald that the sides went in level at the interval.  After a late penalty invited the Wildcats forward, the ball was swept from right-to-left with Sykes making the final pass to Mathers, the full-back riding the attempted tackle sufficiently to bounce over the line.  Sykes’ conversion meant it was 6-6 at the break.

Wakefield started the half sloppily with a penalty for obstruction and a forward pass out of dummy half giving Hull the opportunity to strike.  They took full advantage with Sa again involved, bouncing out of contact to get his arms free and offload for Horne to five over.

The Wildcats almost responded within minutes as the ever lively Godinet leapt out of dummy half sniffing an opportunity, firing a long pass to Owen who gathered it above his head well and dotted down, only to be denied by the touch judge for a foot in touch.

It was a brief reprieve for the Airlie Birds as in the next set the Wildcats struck.  A couple of offloads had the home side on the front foot and Tim Smith opted to dink a kick to the corner for Riley and Reece Lyne to chase.  Their pressure, coupled with a horrible bounce for full-back Shaul gave Riley the chance to get a first home try in Wildcats colours.

Once again, though, the Wildcats offered a chance up to Hull on a plate.  After an error in the first play from the restart Hull worked the ball left from the scrum and Shaul made up for his disappointment to put Yeaman in.

The flurry of points continued in the next set. The Wildcats charged down a Hull kick and Lyne picked the ball up tight to the touchline and with 40 metres to go.  He jinked inside the covering Horne before holding up Shaul, then powering over the full-back as the try line approached.

The Wildcats looked to have won it when Scruton was sent over by McShane ten minutes from time but there was still time for Hull to strike back through Yeaman and Westerman held his nerve to land the kick.


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts