posted on 10 July 2014

Second half tries from Nick Scruton and Tim Smith kept the Wildcats play-off hopes alive.

Nick Scruton scored the winning try.

Trinity trailed 4-0 at half-time following Danny Tickle’s try but responded before the hour mark through an opportunist try from Smith and a charging effort from Scruton.

A try for Stefan Marsh made for a tense last ten minutes but the Wildcats saw out the match to make it five games unbeaten and close the gap on Widnes to just two points.

James Webster handed starting berths to Matty Wildie and Andy Raleigh as Paul McShane dropped to the bench where he was joined by the returning Ali Lauitiiti.

Widnes dominated the early stages and put the Wildcats defensive line under repeated pressure. But Widnes looked like a side bereft of confidence and the Trinity defence stood firm under a weight of pressure in the first 15 minutes.

The break finally came before the midway point of the half as Tickle charged onto a short ball and he was too big and strong for the Trinity defence but his conversion attempt was wayward.

Trinity were bereft of any good attacking positions and on the rare occasions they did enter the Widnes half the opportunity to attack wasn’t grasped.  The game turned increasingly scrappy and it was only just before half-time that the Wildcats really threatened.  Richard Mathers linked up well with Taulima Tautai, passing to the prop before receiving his offload and looping a pass to Keinhorst.

He drew Patrick Ah Van and passed to Owen who was denied by a desperate last ditch tackle, confirmation of his knee being in touch before he grounded the ball coming from the video referee.

Webster’s words of wisdom gave the Wildcats the energy boost they needed and after 49 minutes the hosts were on the scoreboard in unconventional fashion.  With Widnes coming away from their own line, Moore used defence as a method of attack.  He smashed the ball free from the grasp of the ball carrier to see it trickle over the try line where Tim Smith got there in front of the Widnes man and had the score confirmed by the video referee.

The try came just 90 seconds after Patrick Ah Van looked destined to score.  He picked off a long Tim Smith pass, swatted off Keinhorst and set off on the 80 metres run to the line. But Keinhorst wasn’t giving up the ghost and he chased the winger back and hauled him down inches short of the line.

The Wildcats were looking the side in control at this point and they reinforced that on 55 minutes.  Scruton hit a superb angle to take a Smith pass, skittling defenders in his wake en route to the line, again the video referee giving it the final okay.

At 12-4 Trinity looked comfortable but it was only going to take one moment to get Widnes back in the game and with 13 minutes it came.  A kick to the corner looked routine for Mathers to deal with but he overran it and Marsh was rewarded for his chase by getting to the ball ahead of the Trinity full-back.

There were never moments in the final ten minutes as Widnes chanced their arm but Wakefield held on.

Attendance: 3, 932.


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts