posted on 22 August 2014

Wakefield Wildcats Under 19′s were unable to grab the points in their last home game of the campaign, as Salford edged out an end-to-end contest, winning 28-20.

Scott Lee crossed the whitewash for the Wildcats under 19's. Picture courtesy of Dean Williams.

Despite Wakefield missing key players in Max Jowitt and Tom Johnstone, it didn’t effect the attacking flair shown for large periods of the game as stand in full back Scott Lee was instrumental in a good first half for Trinity. His try and other scores from Jacob Ware and Jack Teanby saw Wakefield head into half-time leading 16-14.

Although Brandon Conway scored for Wakefield in the second-half, it proved not to be enough as tries from Jake Bibbey, Kieran Gill and Edwin Okanga added to Salford’s first-half efforts from Connor McGrath (2) and Davis Mbumbu.

The game was played at a relatively quick speed and Salford used that to their advantage early on as McGrath got the visitors off to the start they wanted when he proved too strong for Lee in the left corner.

Just two minutes later, Salford crossed again through prop Mbumbu who was too strong for a soft defensive line on that occasion and when Dan Lomax converted, Salford led by ten points after just nine minutes.

However, the home side showed tremendous resilience and were rewarded with a score of their own on 17 minutes as Josh Kittrick’s delicate grubber kick was pounced on by Teanby. Under 19′s Man of Steel Jordan Crowther had control of the conversions in Jowitt’s absence and made no mistake with his first.

Only two minutes later the hosts levelled things up and Ware was on the end of some fantastic hands from Nathan Stone and Kieran Holt to cross in the corner. Crowther was unable to convert on that occasion.

At this point, Wakefield’s tails were up and Jack Walton enjoyed a fantastic five minute period, making a break to put Trinity in good position and then shortly after providing an important offload for Lee to stroll in. Crowther added the two and the Wildcats were leading 16-10.

Salford put themselves within touching distance at the break though when McGrath completed his brace right on the stroke half-time.

HALF TIME: Wakefield Under 19′s 16-14 Salford Under 19′s

The second half started in similar fashion to the first with Salford scoring quick back-to-back tries, the first coming from Bibbey who found himself in acres of space on Wakefield’s left edge to cross and the second coming from Gill who collected a simple pass for an easy try to give the Red Devils an eight point lead.

On 55 minutes it got even better for Salford when Edwin Okanga was on the end of a well worked left-to-right switch to dive over.

Salford had other chances to kill the game off and Wakefield had numerous chances to claw themselves back into it. However, the home side could only capitalise on one of those occasions as Conway finished off a smart short side move on 71 minutes to give Wakefield slight hope.

It proved only a consolation though and Salford hung on to win 28-20.

WILDCATS: Lee, Conway, Swan, Holt, Ware, Parker, Kittrick, Teanby, Maskill, Kilday, Stone, Walton, Crowther. Interchanges: Moules, Morris, Sampson, Douglas.

Report by Connor Grace


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts