posted on 3 August 2014

The Wildcats U19′s winning run was halted against the Huddersfield Giants, where a second half points spree saw them to a 34-6 victory.

Brandon Conway scored the only Wildcats try of the game. Picture courtesy of Ste Watkinson.

Wakefield went into half-time with the scores locked at 6-6 after Brandon Conway cancelled out Liam Johnson’s try which was the first of six scores on the day. But in the second half the Giants ran riot with tries from Daniel McIntosh (3), Brad Cable and Elliott Morris.

Despite Trinity hardly getting out of their own half in the opening fifteen minutes, the goal line defence was astute, denying Huddersfield several opportunities to open the scores.

However, after a scrappy first quarter, the deadlock was broken by the visitors as Johnson spotted a hole in the Wakefield defence and raced clear from halfway to dot down. The try was converted by Jack Miller and just moments later, the Giants came close again when Jared Simpson made a 60 yard break only for the Wildcats to be saved by full-back Scott Lee.

That was as good as it got for Huddersfield in the first half and it looked like both sides couldn’t wait for the half-time whistle to dust down and refresh following a half of several penalties, errors and a struggle for anyone to get a foothold in the game.

The phrase ‘credit where credit is due’ could’ve been used for the next try right on the half-time hooter and the try was a real reward for Wakefield’s resilience in the first half as a pinpoint kick from Alex Parker was plucked from the air by Conway, despite the odds against him, to ground in the corner. Parker’s half-back partner, Tom Megretton, converted from the touchline and that was the last kick in an overall scrappy first half.


Whatever the Huddersfield coaching staff said at half-time clearly had a positive effect on their team, as they came out for the second forty firing on all cylinders.

They reduced the penalty count and noticeably improved ball retention, so it was no surprise they scored back-to-back tries in the opening three minutes.

Dan Abram; fresh from the bench, coasted 60 metres before finally being brought down by Lee. However, smart hands resulted in McIntosh strolling in for his first.

Just a minute later, it was another break from deep, this time from Miller who was fortunate to have the supporting Brad Cable on his shoulder to cross.

When Miller converted the difference became ten points, however, not long after the difference was sixteen when McIntosh took advantage of an over-eager Trinity attack which ended with a Parker knock on to race 40 metres and continue Huddersfield’s dominant second-half.

Ben Cornell was brought on from the bench AND sparked some well needed speed in to the home sides attack with his direct running and niggly approach, brought the Wildcats sharp on their toes to a point where the Giants pack weren’t happy. Tempers flared and Cornell was in the middle of a 26 man scrap ten metres from the Huddersfield line.

Wakefield thought they had a chance to capitalise from the resulting penalty but instead appeared to panic and Jacob Ware was found isolated with three Giants men on task to bundle the winger into touch.

At this point, Trinity’s heads were down and the home side went on to concede a further two tries. The first coming from McIntosh, who rounded off his hat-trick in style with a fantastic leap to claim a cross-field kick and burrow his way to the line.

The Giants refused to settle for a comfortable win and were credited for their display when Miller broke from deep and Morris had the simple task of crossing over to put a stop to a miserable afternoon for Wakefield.

WILDCATS: Lee, Conway, Swan, Ware, Johnstone, Parker, Megretton, Teanby, Moules, Kilday (C), Stone, Walton, Crowther. INTERCHANGES: Cornell, Sampson, Holt, Morris.

Report by Connor Grace


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts