posted on 3 August 2014

A dominant first half performance from the Giants saw them canter to victory over the Wildcats.

Jarrod Sammut crossed for a second half consolation.

Six first half scores from Joe Wardle, Eorl Crabtree, Shain Lunt, Craig Kopczak, Jermaine McGillvary and Kruise Leeming had the game sewn up by half-time with the Giants 32-0 to the good.

The Wildcats restored some pride in the second half with scores for Jarrod Sammut (2) and Paul Sykes in an otherwise forgettable forty minutes, Jake Connor getting over for the visitors.

James Webster was without the injured Richard Mathers (groin), meaning a return for Paul Sykes who started at stand-off allowing Jarrod Sammut to revert to full-back.

Sammut sent the kick-off out on the full and that rather set the tone for the half as the Wildcats rarely were able to get out of their own territory for large spells.

Wardle went over from the resultant penalty and on ten minutes Crabtree powered his way over after a short ball from the returning Lunt.  It looked ominous at that stage and so it proved as the Giants ran riot.

Sykes denied McGillvary a try when the winger swooped on a loose pass from McShane but minutes later and the visitors were celebrating again.  Crabtree broke the defensive line and only a last ditch tackle from McShane denied the supporting Kopczak.  Lunt went in at dummy half and scooted over on the very next play.

There was no denying the Welsh captain on 26 minutes and before long and replacement Leeming was over after Sammut had spilled a towering kick from Brough and Luke Robinson had been on hand to pick up and put the youngster over.

When Webster’s men got to within touching distance of the line, Sammut couldn’t hold onto a Lauitiiti offload as he looked set to score and that saw McGillvary set off on a 100 metre dash to the try line, Brough converting to give a 32-0 half-time advantage to the dominant hosts.

Sammut got the second half to a much better start both personally and collectively for the Wildcats when he scooted over from 10 metres after jumping into dummy half on the back of a quick play-the-ball from Keinhorst.

Ten minutes later and the Wildcats were in for a second time on the back of a repeat set with Paul McShane showing good awareness at dummy half to give Sykes a simple try.

The Wildcats created half chances to add to their tally but the game lacked intensity as it drifted on and Connor got in following a classy inside ball from Brough.

Sammut crossed again before the hooter after Kirmond half broke a tackle and got the offload away to the supporting full-back.


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts