posted on 25 January 2015

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats put on a fantastic display beating Hull FC 46-10 in the Gareth Ellis Testimonial.

Curtis Naughton for Hull FC got the game underway in typical preseason weather conditions. It was a very tight first 15 minutes for both sides, with most of the play being within middle third of the field.

It was not long before Wakefield Wildcats found their feet and started to look the stronger side having greater share of possession and creating more openings through a dominant pack and excellent game management of Tim Smith.

Richard Owen scored two back to back Try’s for Wakefield, the first came when Tim Smith found numbers on the short side and fired the pass which found Owen in space out wide. The second came when Wakefield won a penalty which was spread again wide to Owen on the right wing on 20 minutes; Craig Hall missed both the conversions, 8-0.

From another penalty for Wakefield, the ball was moved wide early and after McShane jumped out of dummy half on blind side, he fed Danny Washbrook who broke through the defence to score. Craig Hall missed his third conversion leaving Trinity 12-0 up.

A fantastic bit of play by Wakefield, when Jacob Miller broke past three Hull FC defenders to keep the ball alive which was passed to Scruton who crossed the whitewash after several offloads. Hall was finally successful in converting putting the score line to 24-0 with only five minutes left before half time.

Hull FC found possession hard to come by throughout the first period however in the final few minutes they obtained some good ball field position. Jack Logan scored their first try of the game after he got on the end of Jordan Abdull’s kick. However Marc Sneyd was unsuccessful with his conversion to make it 24-4 on half time.


Hull FC came out in the second half with fighting spirits, they looked a much stronger team than the first 40 minutes. Tom Lineham scored a try one minute into the second half after a break from Jack Logan, Sneyd managed to convert the try to get themselves back into the game, 24-10.

After a lengthy break in play for an FC injury they lost possession in their own half. Crag Hall’s sliding kick behind Hulls defence met Jacob Miller who scored on 60 minutes; Craig Hall converted to make it 30-10 to Wakefield.

The young Tom Johnstone was part of two further try’s for Wakefield, he made a break down the left side finding Sammut with 40 metres to go, who then scored with Craig Hall once again kicked the conversion to put Trinity further into the lead with 36-10. Johnstone scored again after McShane broke through; the hooker fed it through to Sammut who put Washbrook in space to then pass to Johnstone. Craig Hall converted to put the home side 40-10 into the lead.

Nick Scruton got his second Try in the game on 73 minutes after breaking through four hull players before Jarrod Sammut took over the role of kicker to convert 46-10.

Gareth Ellis was named man of the match and the game finished 46-10 Wakefield.


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts