posted on 16 February 2015

A second half hat-trick for Chris Riley saw Wakefield Trinity Wildcats take an impressive win over Hull KR making it back to back wins in the First Utility Super League.

The first 15 minutes of the first half proved to be a tight affair as both teams showed they were not scared to throw the ball around early on.

Dean Collis was inches away from giving Trinity the lead as he broke from a Miller pass, Mantellato managed to stop him from scoring with a tackle on the line.

Hull’s Albert Kelly then put a towering kick on the last tackle causing confusion in the Wildcats defence, he collected and raced away and put it down under the posts. Josh Mantellato converted to put the visitors into the lead 0-6 after nine minutes.

Trinity in possession went wide early on several occasions and a grubber kick from McShane on the last tackle found Matty Ashurst who pounced to score with Craig Hall levelling the scoreline after converting, 6-6.

On 31 minutes Hull KR forced a goal line drop out and piled on pressure for Wakefield. Chris Riley stopped a certain try but on the next play Tyrone McCarthy went over for the red and whites. Mantellato put Hull KR into the lead with his conversion; 6-12 with 6 minutes left in the first half.

Hull’s lead was quickly over after Jacob Miller put Trinity in front just before half time after scoring two great try’s. The first came when he intercepted a Hull KR pass and raced away to reduce the deficit to 2 points. Miller then scored his second four minutes later when Paea set him up 30 yards from the line, to put Wakefield into the lead, This time Hall converted to make it 16-12.

Wakefield Wildcats 16-12 Hull KR

Hull came out in the second half looking to build on the two Miller tries just before half time. Chris Riley kicked the ball for himself but unfortunately the bounce prevented him racing away and scoring.

Wakefield’s Tim Smith sent captain Danny Kirmond through a hole to get Trinity’s fourth try of the day. Kirmond showed great balance, commitment and pace split the tiring KR line and celebrated in front of a loud and proud Northstand. Craig Hall converted to put the home side further into the lead by 22-12.

Hull KR managed to get back into the game when a right to left shift saw Sio in space on the wing to touchdown with the Mantellato conversion from the touchline making it 22-18 with 25 minutes left in the game.

Chris Riley continued with his impressive performance scoring on 60 minutes after superb teamwork down the left hand side, Trinity went eight points into the lead at 26-18.

The game was in the balance until the decisive back-to-back try’s for Wakefield including the hat trick try for Chris Riley placed the home side into a commanding position with only seven minutes left on the clock.

The first try came when Craig Hall fired a pass out to Reece Lyne who then fed Riley. The second came when a loose pass from Hull KR found Godinet who raced 60 metres before releasing Lyne, who then passed to Riley make the score, 38-18.

Hull KR got a consolation try in the last three minutes after Bailey charged over from a close range; Mantellato converted to make the scoreline 38-24.

However, it was not for long as Wakefield ended the game on a high after Jacob Miller found himself completing his hat trick in the final minute, after Ali Lauitiiti charged down the left side. Craig Hall converted with the final play of the game to leave Wildcats victorious 44-24.


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts