posted on 3 March 2015

Wakefield Wildcats suffered defeat on Sunday against a strong and fully committed Widnes Vikings.

After five minutes Vikings scored the first try of the game, a grubber kick by Kevin Brown got in behind the Wakefield defence, Tim Smith failed to collect after it bounced awkwardly allowing Mellor to pounce on the ball, and a successful conversion saw Widnes 6-0 ahead on the board.

Trinity showed they had some fight in them, holding the Vikings off from scoring their second try in as many minutes of the game when Tickle looked certain to cross, Matt Ryan who came back into the starting 17 made the try stopping tackle.

On 18 minutes the Vikings found themselves extending the points difference when Kevin Brown bounded around a few Wakefield defenders and managed to ground the ball, Danny Tickle added the extra points to put them 12-0 into the lead.

Scott Anderson found himself being forced off the pitch on 22 minutes after suffering an injury, the prop had only been on the field a couple of minutes. Widnes took the advantage of this incident and got two quick tries in the short space of three minutes. Firstly, Lloyd White found his way through three Wakefield defenders to the try-line to put them 18-0 up.

A towering bomb proved too difficult for Craig Hall to deal with which led to Aaron Heremaia going down the blind side and fed it to Kevin Brown who scored his second of the game, an unsuccessful conversion by Tickle left the scores at 22-0.

With only eight minutes left on the clock in the first half, Chris Riley intercepted a Widnes ball and raced 90 metres before getting tackled, on the next play the ball was spread out wide to Owen who finished extremely well, Hall failed to convert putting Wakefield four points on the board, 22-4.

Widnes were awarded a penalty with just over a minute until half time, Danny Tickle lined it up and gained the two points for his side, to put them 24-4 into the lead.


Widnes Vikings came out in the second half still looking strong, Patrick Ah Van intercepted the ball from a Tim Smith pass, and the Vikings winger was too big and strong for the Wakefield’s defence. Tickle was wide with his conversion attempt and Widnes went into a further lead of 28-4.

A sigh of relief for Wakefield, when Widnes won a scrum, from this they looked like they had scored; fortunately it was disallowed for obstruction. The travelling side had a strong five minutes when Pita Godinet won a penalty for Wakefield, leading them to have a decent set on the Widnes line, Craig Hall was eventually caught with the ball on the last tackle.

Kevin Brown who had looked very impressive for Widnes made a break; he had support on the inside by White who ran 20 metres to cross. A successful conversion saw Wakefield trailing by 34-4.

It was not long before Widnes pushed through the Wakefield defence one again after Gil Dudson knocked a few defenders out of the way. He found Lloyd White who scored his hat-trick and converted to put his side into the lead by 40-4.

After a 20 metre restart, Smith opted for an optional kick to give Wakefield the possession on half-way. The visitors scored twice in quick concession to soften the blow of the score line slightly, the first when Danny Washbrook put Matt Ryan through a hole to cross, making it 40-10. A left to right shift saw Chris Riley score the second in the corner, Hall converted from the touchline leaving Wakefield trailing on 40-16.

Widnes overpowered the Wakefield defence in the last ten minutes, showcasing their determination to take the two points. Three tries in a space of three minutes extended Widnes’ lead to 58-16; Kevin Brown floated a kick in the air to find Ah Van who beat Owen to catch and scored. The second came when Clarkson raced 30 metres down the pitch to score, the third came after an impressive Lloyd White collected a Brown kick to score under the posts.



Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts