posted on 28 March 2015

Wigan Warriors took the game by storm, against an injury stricken Wakefield Wildcats.

Wigan Warriors were the stronger team from the outset, scoring after just three minutes to put themselves into the lead, which they comfortably held onto throughout.

Wakefield Wildcats fielded a completely different side to what faced Huddersfield Giants last weekend, after Captain, Danny Kirmond and Tim Smith amongst the others were forced through injury.

“We still play things well in the games, we are struggling to train, and we are struggling to prepare well enough for games because we just have not got enough troops at the moment. Head Coach James Webster expressed.

“We had probably 11 people train the other day, and that will probably continue into this week going into the next game.” He continued.

There were some positives to take out of the Wigan game, the young Tom Johnstone earned his call up to make his debut for Trinity, he joined Jordan Crowther in the starting 17, who is another talent who rose through the Academy side.

“I’ve got a lot of pride in my players, they are trying their hardest that they can do.” Explained Webster.

“We tried hard, we tried hard with things, it was good experience for some of the kids. We had one kid making his debut and another playing in his second or third game.

“We had Jordan Hand on loan and he played his fourth or fifth game, we are lacking in experience, but, I thought we tried hard towards the end.”

Wigan Warriors started the first half on top looking extremely strong and continued applying the pressure for 30 minutes, causing havoc down the middle for Trinity.

The home side were the first to put points on the board just after three minutes; Danny Washbrook showed great defensive play for Trinity when he stopped George Williams from scoring. But it was not enough, on the next play Smith’s kick across the field was pounced on by Farrell. Smith converted to make it 6-0.

Craig Hall intercepted a Wigan pass and raced down the field for the Wildcats leaving the Wigan defence behind, but it was pulled back for offside by the referee. The Warriors gained a penalty in which Smith chose to go for the two points and put the home side into the lead on 8-0.

Richard Owen saved Trinity after he stopped the home side from scoring after he knocked the pass after Wigan found themselves racing down the field.

A minute later after a Wigan scrum, Tony Clubb popped up on the inside and ran ten metres to get the ball over the line. Smith converted to put the home side into the lead by 14-0.

Another try for Wigan on 21 minutes when Dom Manfredi raced 20 metres after getting on the outside of his man to score, Matty Smith converted from the right hand touchline to put the home side into the lead by 20-0.

The Wildcats show a glimpse of attacking play on the 30 minute mark, the visiting side looked strong down the left side. Riley touched down after Trinity moved the ball left however Craig Hall was unsuccessful with his conversion.

Once again the home side extended their lead after Gelling intercepted a Jordan Hand loose pass giving Wigan their fourth try on 37 minutes. Smith added the extra points to put them 26-4 into the lead.


It was a much more positive start to the second half for Wakefield, they seemed a more composed side and for 10 minutes competed set for set with last years grand finalists.

On 50 minutes, Wigan managed to break through the Trinity defence. Gelling found space before he found Dom Manfredi who scored his second try of the game. Smith failed to convert and put them into the lead on 30-4.

Trinity hit back as the Wildcats soon found their feet as they continued to work extremely hard throughout. Nick Scruton offloaded to Paul McShane who had four Wigan men surrounding him, somehow with determination he held them off and inched the ball over the line to get Wakefield’s second try of the game on 52 minutes.

Wigan soon found themselves back on top and scored two back-to-back tries in a short space of time. The first when Lee Mossop hit the line at to score.
The second try came when the tiring Wakefield defence succumbed to allow Liam Farrell raced to cross under the posts for his second of the game, a lead of 42-10.

With five minutes left in the second half, Wigan scored twice in quick concession, both from Anthony Gelling to get his hat trick. The first try came when Joel Tomkins made a break down the right. The second try came when a Smith kick found its way into the hands of Gelling, Smith couldn’t add the extra points, and the home side find themselves 52-10.



Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts