posted on 1 March 2015

Wakefield Wildcats Under 16's, featuring England Youth Internationals Will Dagger and Will Oakes, continued their unbeaten start to the season as they beat Warrington Wolves 32-22, yesterday afternoon.

After beating Salford Red Devils in their opening game of the season, the young Wildcats were eager to make it two from two and the intent was there for all to see. A ruthless first half period was rewarded with scores from Will Oakes (2) and Callum Woofitt. The Wolves scored through Regan Croft, however, Wakefield were comfortable and were leading 20-6 at the break.

Although Warrington got the first score of the seond half through Blake Turner, they were unable to stop Oakes scoring a further try, adding to other second half scores from Lee Kershaw and Henry Hiddlestone.

The opening exchanges were played at a relatively quick speed as both sides wanted to stamp their authority early on. However, it was the home side who got the scoreboard ticking over on ten minutes when winger Oakes proved too strong for the Wire defence and crossed in the corner. Will Ingleby converted from the touchline.

Ingleby was again lining up a conversion just 30 seconds later and it seemed like 'deja vu' when Oakes got another, this time from deep, handing off three would be tacklers on his way to the line. Ingleby added the extras again and Trinity were comfortable, leading 12-0.

Despite the early points spree, things weren't as simple as some would've imagined at 12-0 and Wakefield had to show their defensive qualities on numerous occasions. Matty Woodward was on task twice in a couple of minutes to deal with difficult kicks.

Trinity weathered the Wolves' storm and their hard work in defence was rewarded when Ingleby put Woofitt through a gaping hole and the loose-forward showed plenty of pace and power to get over the line. Ingleby converted again to make it 18-0 after 30 minutes.

The visitors continued to show resilience and scored a deserved try as Jake Carter sent Croft on his way to the try line to bring Wire back into the game. Carter added the extra two and the deficit was just twelve points.

Wakefield were awarded a penalty just two minutes before half-time and Will Dagger opted to attempt the conversion from over 40 metres away. The full-back was unable to nail it this time but was given another chance just a minute later and made no mistake, from what looked a more difficult kick than the first one.

HALF TIME: Wakefield U16's 20-6 Warrington U16's

The Wolves started the second-half in a similar manner to how they ended the first, scoring a try, this time through Turner who barged his way past a few defenders to dot down. Carter converted to bring the scores to 20-12 in Wakefield's favour.

Just moments later, the Wildcats got back in their rhythm and crossed for another try. This time it was Kershaw as the wigner was on hand to finish a lovely left-to-right sweep in the corner. Ingleby was unable to convert this time leaving the score at 24-12.

Wakefield's hoooker, Hiddlestone, who worked hard all day, claimed a deserved try ten minutes later on the end of some good work from Kershaw. The Wildcats were back in a comfortable position, leading 28-12.

The visitors had numerous chances to claw themselves back into the game. However, they could only capitalise on one of those ocasions as Williams crashed over to give Wire hope. The scores were 28-18 once carter converted.

Wakefield dinted any hope of a comeback though as Oakes completed his hat-trick by catching a pass from his knees to score in the corner. There was no conversion but Wakefield were out of sight, leading 32-18.

The Wolves did get a consolation score through Rony Frank who showed enough pace to find the try line.

FULL TIME: Wakefield U16's 32-22 Warrington U16's

WILDCATS: Dagger, Kershaw, Wheeler, Woodward, Oakes, Ingleby, Hayden, Anderson, Hiddlestone, Newby, Chadwick, Robinson, Woofitt. Interchanges: Summers, Pinder, Hussain, Lynch, Sykes, Colthorpe, Hallas.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts