posted on 13 March 2015

Wakefield Wildcats Under 19's were comfortably beaten 42-4 by a ruthless St Helens side, who ran in seven tries, with Trinity only able to chalk up one.

Despite the Wildcats valiant efforts, it was a contest that the visitors never looked like losing and they showed that right from the kick-off as they piled on the pressure.

Stand-off Danny Richardson was influential for Saints and his first half hat-trick completed a good first half from their point of view.

The second-half wasn't much different, however, Stu Dickens' men did manage to get some points as Declan Brereton crossed and that gave them hope at 18-4. Unfortuantely for Wakefield that proved only a consolation, as Saints scored further tries through Matty Lees, Jake Spedding and Aaron Smith.

The early exchanges proved extremely difficult for the Wildcats with Saints being almost perfect in every department. Their superiority showed after just two minutes when Dave Hewitt set Richardson away for his first of the evening and when Hewitt converted Saints were 6-0 up.

The visitors weren't going to get complacent with that early score and Richardson added to his account just five minutes later, again on the end of good work from Hewitt, who added the extra two.

Wakefield never seemed to get into the contest early on, but to Saints' credit, they didn't allow them to. Max Jowitt did really well to stop Saints crossing again but it wasn't too long before they got their third try as Richardson completed his hat-trick right on the stroke of half-time. Hewitt converted and his team went into half-time leading 18-0.

The Wildcats started the second-half the better team and were rewarded for their efforts with a try from Brereton who made no mistake in finishing off a good move that ended with a delightful pass from Jowitt, who was just wide with the conversion attempt.

That was as good as it got though for the hosts as Saints responded in clinical fashion. Lees proved too big and strong for the Wakefield defence and coasted in to get Saints' first try of the second half.

Ten minutes later, the visitors crossed again through Spedding who got on the end of some scrappy play to score in the corner. Hewitt converted from the touchline to keep up his 100% record with the boot and was given another conversion task less than a minute later when Smith got in on the act after supporting down the middle. Hewitt was up to the task again and Saints were cruising at 36-6.

The Wildcats knew the game was all but over at this stage meaning they could perhaps be forgiven for forcing the pass when it never really looked on. However, the home side deserve credit for never giving in and Brereton came close to getting himself and Trinity a second try only to be denied by the impressive Bailey who went on to score the final try of a one sided match. Hewitt ensured he stayed at 100% with the boot and Saints claimed a 42-4 victory.

WILDCATS: Jowitt, Ratchford, Lord, Mazive, Brereton, Megretton, Ackroyd, Teanby, Cornell, Gledhill, Swan, Woofitt, Holt. INTERCHANGES: Blake, Morris, Senior, Riley.

ST HELENS: Bailey, Spedding, Fleming, Wellington, Grace, Richardson, Hewitt, McCauley, Smith, Ryan, Davies, Cooper, Knowles. INTERCHANGES: Eaves, Worrall, Hatton, Lees.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts