posted on 24 April 2015

Wakefield were left with a mixture of emotions last night when they went down 40-22 at Belle Vue against 2014 Grand Finalists Wigan Warriors.

It was a high tempo game from the start, both sides showing the fight and passion they have for their clubs to try and get that much needed win.

James Webster was very proud of the performance from his side, “We played a lot better this week than what we did last week against Halifax.”

“We definitely did not get beaten on effort out there tonight; we got beat on kicking ourselves in the back. In the second half when we tried to get a foothold of the game we came out with crucial errors at crucial times.” Webster continued.

“As I said I came here looking for an improvement tonight and I got that, if we can make that same leap next week we might be close to getting something at Saints. We need to make that type of improvement over the next month each week to get us back where we want to be.”

Trinity got the game underway 40 seconds into the first half when Craig Hall collected on the inside from Matt Ryan who had bust his way through the Wigan defence to score the first try of the game. Hall converted his own try to make it 6-0.

Wigan soon found their feet, the visitors were awarded a penalty after Anthony Gelling was held back, leaving them in a good position to apply pressure. Dan Crosby found space between the Wakefield defence to crash over the line; Matty Smith levelled the score line to make it 6-6.

Wigan kept up the momentum scoring two more tries in the space of ten minutes to go into the lead. A dummy half run from Crosby found Mcllorum who passed to Matty Smith, Smith broke through and rounded Craig Hall to cruise over the line. Their third try came when Sarginson offloaded to Burgess who raced away to extend their lead further 6-18.

A fantastic break by Reece Lyne set the platform for a Wakefield try. Tim Smith and Dan Smith worked exceptionally well in the middle to find Danny Kirmond who scored to put the home side back into the game. Hall added the extra points to make it 12-18, 12 minutes before half time.

After an altercation resulted in both Tim Smith and Sam Powell being sent to the sin bin with Wigan were awarded the penalty. On the next play a Ryan Hampshire pass found Dom Manfredi who scored for Wigan, Matty Smith added the extra points to put them 24-12 into the lead.

Wakefield stung Wigan right on the hooter when Pita Godinet darted from dummy-half to score and to narrow the point’s difference and set up an exciting second half.


The second half started poorly for Trinity as Sarginson made another broke before he passing to Joe Burgess who scored for the visitors, to put them 18-30 into the lead.

A returning fans favourite Talima Tautai gave the home fans plenty to cheer when he coughed up possession in his own half allowing Pita Godinet took offload to Chris Riley to reply with a try immediately.. Craig Hall failed to convert putting the score line to 22-30.

The visitors however soon extended their lead when Mcllorum supplied Lee Mossop who charged through the defence to make it 22-36 after Smith converted.

Burgess got his hat-trick a few minutes later, a long pass from George Williams was received by the winger who went in to score in the corner. Smith was wide with the conversion to make it 22-40.



Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts