posted on 21 February 2016

Wildcats clinched their first victory of 2016 against a battling Hull KR side.

It was a very close 80 minutes with both sides looking hungry to get that first win of the season, but a huge amount of errors could have been extremely costly.

The Wildcats found themselves trailing after only 10 minutes into the first half as Keiran Dixon found a gap on the left side of the field to put the home side 4-0 up after he failed to convert.

A bit of luck came the Wildcats way when a great kick-off from Liam Finn saw the ball bounce off a Hull KR player on the 10m line giving the visitors a fantastic advantage. On the next play Finn took the ball just short of the line and offloaded to Mickael Simon who touched down, Finn converted to edge Trinity into the lead on 4-6.

A fantastic carry from Tom Johnstone who came back into the 17-man squad after missing out last weekend against Castleford Tigers sped up the set and found Howarth who put the visitors further into the lead on 4-12 following a successful conversion by Liam Finn.

Back to back penalties from the Wildcats saw Hull KR gain a lot of ground, Kelly floated a pass to Adam Walker who got the home side back into the game, a failed conversion by Dixon put the 8-12 behind the Wildcats.

The first 15 minutes of the second half was rather frustrating for both teams with plenty of errors stopping either side looking dangerous.

Chris Annakin came close to the try line, a penalty was given 10 metres in front of the sticks after a professional foul on Annakin which resulted in Blair being sin binned, Liam Finn added the two points to put the away side 8-14 up adding pressure on the Robins.

Another penalty was conceded by the Wildcats, which saw Ken Sio collecting the ball out on the left and running through the Wildcats defence, Ryan Shaw failed to convert and to put the game level and the visitors narrowly led with 12-14 with 16 minutes remaining.

The Wildcats were given a lifeline when the Robins were inches away from taking the lead, fortunately the home side created a knock-on. A few minutes later Tom Johnstone made a try saving tackle to stop Ryan Shaw from scoring.

The youngster then created a spectacular effort to put the visitors further into the lead; unfortunately he ran just wide and hurt himself in the process.

Reece Lyne was denied a try for double movement after another great set from the Wildcats’ when Tom Johnstone made a great initial run down the field with five minutes remaining and the Wildcats held on to take the two points.

Full Time: Hull KR 12-14 Wakefield Wildcats


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts