posted on 27 February 2016

It was a resistant performance from the Wildcats over the 80 minutes with a few flourishing spells in attack but it was not enough to defy the Wolves who were on exceptional form.

Wildcats were forced to make a late change before kick off with Ben Jones-Bishop pulling out through injury and the young Jason Walton stepping in from the 18th man.

After a shaky start to the first half conceding two tries back to back, the Wildcats showcased a very strong attacking performance, however could only get one try which came from Craig Hall.

Within the opening five minutes Wildcats lost the possession 30 metres away from the Wolves try line and Ben Curry picked up to race away and score the opening try to put the home side 6-0 up.

Wakefield gave a penalty away for offside. Sandow's kick takes the Wolves just 30m away from the try line. On the next play the home side created a neat right-to-left shift and Penny got their second try, Gidley converted to put them 12-0 into the lead.

Fantastic play from the Wildcats when Jacob Miller broke through the Wolves defence to fins Ashurst on his left; he then exchanged the pass to Craig Hall who dived over the try line to get the Wildcats back into the game on 12-6 with a successful conversion from Liam Finn.

Gidley, who has been threatening for the Wolves got them their third try of the game, this came after the Wildcats gave away another penalty, the home side furthered their lead to 18-6 with 14 minutes remaining in the first half.

Chris Sandow picked up possession for the Wolves and with sheer class he chipped the ball over the Wildcats defence, he regained possession of the ball and raced over the line to put the home side ahead on 24-6 at half time.

Wildcats continued the second half with a spring in their step with an improved defensive display and dangerous in attack.

The visitors were on top after the Wolves were penalised for interference, the Wildcats created a great set in front of the try line, Mikey Sio found Anthony Tupou who got it over the line, Liam Finn scored the conversion to put the scoreline to 24-12.

Wolves got two tries in quick concession; Chris Sandow got his second try of the game after a great partnership with Gidley. Gidley missed the conversion to put the Wolves 28-12 into the lead. Then Ben Currie also got his second when a good kick from Kurt Gidley found the arms of Currie. Gidley did not miss the conversion and put them 34-12 in the lead.

Another fantastic set from the Wildcats with Craig Hall breaking through the Wolves defence to find Joe Arundel who put find Jonny Molloy to scramble over the line, Finn missed the conversion to end the game on 34-16.


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts