posted on 7 March 2016

It was a disappointing defeat for the Wildcats at the hands of the Dragons on Sunday afternoon.

Wildcats bounced back with two tries; from Tupou and Arundel in the last 10 minutes of the first half, after the Dragons took control within the first minute of kick-off scoring five consecutive tries.

Jodie Broughton got the first try of the game for the Dragons when great play from Inu created spaces down the right flank to find Broughton who crossed over the line, Pat Richards converted to put them 0-6 ahead.

Their second came on 15 minutes a grubber kick by Dave Taylor on the last tackle bounced in front of Vincent Duport, he dived on the ball to put the visitors further into the lead, Richards missed the conversion to make it 0-10.

A further three tries came for the Dragons, the first after a fast set on the 20m line, Pat Richards out jumped Reece Lyne to get the try, then Jason Baitieri got the fourth when he barged through the Wildcats defence right under the sticks, Richards converted to put them 0-22 into the lead.

And the fifth came when Todd Carney who has been a key player for the Catalans passed to Stewart who got the try, the conversion was missed and the Dragons took the lead of 0-26.

Wildcats got themselves into the game with eight minutes left of the first half when a nice offload from Liam Finn found Miller to his right to put Anthony Tupou in and over the line; Finn got the conversion to put the score line 6-26.

Soon after a Wildcats scrum was given, the ball was passed across to the right and Anthony Tupou found Ben Jones-Bishop who found Joe Arundel who got over the line, Finn scored the conversion to make it 12-26.

Five minutes into the second half a fantastic pass from Tupou to set Miller away before he passed to find Lyne who raced over in the corner, Finn converted from the touchline to make it 18-26.

Liam Finn created a great kick to find Tom Johnstone who leaped into the air to get the ball down over the line. Finn failed to convert, 22-26.

Ritchie Myler got the Catalans back into the game, this came when the Wildcats were initially given a repeat set, after a closer look by Bentham, the visitors were given the advantage, 22-32.

Nick Scruton was penalised after a high tackle which put Catalans on the attack, Tony Gigot put the visitors even further into the lead when held off the Wildcats defence to stretch over the line. Richards was unable to convert to make it 22-36.

Gigot got his second of the game, when Myler made a break down the field with no Wildcats defence around him; he passed to Gigot who got it down under the sticks, 22-42.

After a spritely break from Johnstone, the ball was played across to the right on the 20m mark and found the hands of Mika Simon who grounded the ball. Finn converted to make it 28-42. 


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts