posted on 15 April 2016

 Written By: Alex Davis 

Wakefield cruised through to the sixth round of the Challenge Cup with a workman-like victory over Championship side Sheffield Eagles, running out 44-10 winners.

20 points from Liam Finn in a man of the match performance was the highlight as the Wildcats first half performance downed any dreams of the South Yorkshire side progressing towards Wembley.

Sheffield started the game brightly, opening the scoring through Talisman Menzie Yere. Aston’s pass was to the centre’s feet but he grubbered through to himself to score.

The Wildcats were quick to get back in the game. In-form half-back Jacob Miller slicing the Eagles defence through the middle and sending ball-playing partner Liam Finn over to score.

Back to back penalties allowed Trinity close to Sheffield’s line once again and they were quick to take advantage. Miller again provider with a long pass out to Johnstone who scored in the corner.

The Wildcats extended their lead out to eight as Miller sent Johnstone racing down the left. A ball back on the inside found Hall and he provided a fantastic cut out pass for Finn to score once again.

Sheffield weren’t to be kept quiet, and Yere grabbed his double off another kick. This time it was Quentin Laulu-Togagae’s kick through which was grounded by the big centre on the left.

Wakefield, re-established a two try lead when great hands sent Ben Jones-Bishop in on the right hand side to make the score 20-10.

Miller helped Wakefield pile on the pressure providing a try for Tinirau Arona, who cut a great line to score off Miller’s flat pass.

Wakefield lead at half-time 32-10 with Mika Simon’s barging effort completing a dominant half for the Wildcats.

The second half proved to be a far scrappier and tighter affair with errors from both sides punctuating play.

Mikey Sio twisted and turned from dummy half to open the second half scoring after nine minutes.

Injuries halted the game during the first 15 minutes with Tupou and Arundel both leaving the field for the Wildcats. Tupou returned later in the half but Arundel left the field using crutches and faces a lengthy injury lay off.

Wakefield continued to press the Eagles with two drop outs forced in the last 10 minutes of the game; the latter providing the field position for Arona to complete his double near the posts to finish the game on 44-10. 


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts