posted on 12 June 2016

Trinity edged to victory against local side Huddersfield Giants in what was a grubby performance from both sides.

Only one try was scored in the game going in favour of Trinity and captain Danny Kirmond, the remainder of the points were through three penalties, one for the Giants and two for Trinity, going back up to sixth spot.

The first half was no spectacle in the local derby; a penalty kick from Liam Finn to put two points on the board was the only difference between both sides going in at half time.

It was a fairly even affair in the first 40 minutes with most of the possession being in the centre of the field. Both sides failed to create chances with the sets playing out to nothing and a lot of errors made.

The home side edged the opening 15 minutes pushing forward and getting close to the Trinity try line on numerous occasions but the visitors put on a strong defensive display, something that has been lacking in the previous fixtures.

First real chance for both sides came when a dangerous kick from Jacob Miller looked like it was to put Trinity into the lead, however the ball was grounded in goal by McGillvary giving Giants the next set.

Trinity got a penalty on the Giants 20m mark, to the left of the sticks, Liam Finn did not disappoint with the kick and Trinity went into the lead on 0-2 with 13 minutes of the first half remaining.

The Giants created a bit of a buzz with seven minutes of the first half remaining when a dummy from Brough fooled the Trinity defence and he sprinted forward, fortunately nothing came of it and Trinity remained two points in the lead.

Two penalties in the opening 10 minutes of the second half, one for each side gave the game a bit more of a spark.

The Giants were the first to be rewarded; the home side were on the attack in Tinity’s half when Kirmond gave away the penalty and Brough went for the two points to level the game.

Soon after, Trinity had the possession and pushed forward, the Giants were offside giving away a penalty in a very dangerous position and once again Finn went for the two points to edge into the lead.

On the 65 minute, Trinity had a fantastic set in the Giants half; they showed a lot of strength and character but could not get it over the line. On the next play Giants raced down the field and Ben Jones-Bishop was penalised and gave away the penalty in a dangerous position. The Giants went for the two points however Brough was just wide with the attempt.

The game finally saw a try with 11 minutes remaining went in Trinity’s way when a kick from Finn was pounced on by captain Danny Kirmond, Finn added the extras to win the game on 10-2.


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts