posted on 24 June 2016

Trinity cruise into the Challenge Cup Semi-Final after beating the Giants 28-16

It was a thrilling 80 minutes with Huddersfield putting in a fight until the bitter end but Trinity kept composed and ended with a comfortable win, two tries coming from new signing David Fifita.

It was a close first half, Trinity started the game a much stronger side but the Giants soon found form and caused plenty of chaos in the Trinity defence.

David Fifita got the opening try of the game within two minutes, the Giants lost the possession on their own 20m mark to give away a Wakefield scrum, on the next play Fifita got the ball and scrambled it over the line to go 6-0 into the lead.

Trinity then received a penalty after the Giants held down Molloy; Finn certainly did not fail to add the two points.

Reece Lyne made a fantastic break down the field creating a few dummies in the process, he was unfortunately forced off the field with concussion and the Giants’ Danny Brough was sin binned for the incident. On the next play, the Wildcats played a great set across the Huddersfield try line and Ben Jones-Bishop went over in the corner to further the lead. Unfortunately Finn was unable to convert and the scoreline was 12-0 to Trinity.

Another penalty for the Wildcats after Eorl Crabtree held down Fifita just in front of the sticks, and Finn added the extras.

Soon after Ashurst lost possession and Scott Grix chased down the field, Johnstone was not strong enough to hold him off and the Giants got back into the game, Jamie Ellis was unable to convert.

A poor kick down the field for Jacob Miller gave the home side the possession. On the next play Jake O’Connor got over in the corner after a break from Danny Brough who had just returned to the field of play from the sin bin. Brough dragged the conversion wide.

The Giants were close to pulling it back at the very end of the first half with the decision going up to the video ref, fortunately for Trinity it was not given and it remained Trinity 14-8 Giants.

Huddersfield came out the slightly stronger side in the second half, however Tom Johnstone intercepted a pass and raced 60m down the field to put the ball under the sticks, Finn converted to make it 8-20.

Trinity had another opportunity to go further into the lead when there was a knock on from the Giants which bounced off the ref, Fifita tried to get his hands onto it but the decision was sent to the video ref and was given no try.

Soon after Fifita got over the line for his second try of the game after a great set from Trinity to make it 8-26 after a successful conversion from Liam Finn.

On the next set McGilvary got over in the right corner, however Brough failed the conversion.

Trinity received a penalty with 16 minutes of the game remaining right in front of the centre of the sticks on the 10m mark and Finn added the two points to make it 12-28.

With only five minutes of the game remaining the Giants were close to getting a consolation try, the decision went to video ref and it was given a no try. However minutes later the consolation try came for the home side when McGilvary, Ellis failed to convert and Trinity sailed through to the semi finals.

Full Time: Giants 16-28 Wildcats


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts