posted on 24 July 2016

Castleford Tigers proved to be too strong of encounters resulting in the visitors securing the sixth spot.

Trinity came out on top in the first half with tries from Miller and two from Arundel, the home side held their nerve after the Tigers fought back to go in at half time six points ahead.

A great start to the first half for Trinity when Jacob Miller caught the ball on the last kick, he held off the Tigers defence to scramble it over the line and to take the lead. Finn added the extras.

Trinity continued to remain strong in defence keeping the visitors into their own half. Liam Finn and Jacob Miller combined well to set up Joe Arundel who got the try over in the corner, Finn was wide with the conversion and Trinity took the lead by 10-0 with 15 minutes of the game played.

Castleford Tigers found their way through to get themselves back into the game after 22 minutes when Greg Minikin made a break down the field to score in the corner. However Luke Gale was wide with the conversion.

After losing Jonny Molloy with an injury and Matty Ashurst to have a head test, the Tigers started to attack down the centre of the field which lead to Oliver Holmes scoring their second try of the game after a grubber kick from Gale. Gale added the extras to level the scoreline.

A forward pass from McShane saw Trinity being awarded with a scrum 40m away from Castleford’s line. Trinity took this to their advantage and a lovely combination between Tupou and Finn to find Arundel who got his second of the game to put the home side back into the lead.

Half Time: Trinity 16-10 Tigers

Castleford Tigers took the second half by storm scoring six tries, four of them in the final 15 minutes of the game.

Five minutes into the second half, Andre Savelio got the Tigers back into the game after he went through a hole in the defence, a successful conversion from Luke Gale put both teams on level points.

A lovely kick on the last ball from Liam Finn found the hands of Reece Lyne after he leaped into the air in the right corner and got it over the line to put the home side back into the lead, Finn failed to convert.

Salvelo made a break for the visitors, he had Luke Gale in support who went over the line untouched to put the Tigers into to lead by two points on 22-20 after a successful conversion.

A number of errors from Trinity lead to the visitors getting another four tries to win the game and secure their place in sixth spot. The first came when Junior Moors powered his way over from close range. The second came after a kick from Luke Gale found Greg Minikin who got his second of the game.

The last two tries came from Tom Holmes who broke through Trinity’s defence and beat Max Jowitt, and then Ryan Hampshire went over after a break from Luke Gale to win the game on 46-20.

Full Time: Wakefield Trinity 20-46 Castleford Tigers


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts