posted on 31 July 2016

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats' Wembley ambitions were halted on Saturday afternoon, as Warrington ran in ten tries to cruise to a 56-12 victory.

With twelve of the first-team squad missing through injury, Trinity's task was made even tougher than first anticipated last month when the two teams were drawn together. A spirited performance from the Wildcats was rewarded with tries from Craig Hall and Max Jowitt. But the Wolves' class was clear to see and they scored tries through Jack Hughes, Daryl Clark, Rhys Evans, Kurt Gidley, Chris Sandow, Stefan Ratchford, Ben Currie, Ben Westwood and Toby King (2).

The Wildcats were the first to cross as a Ratchford error gave Chris Chester's men a scrum 20 metres out and from it Liam Finn and Jacob Miller combined and the latter sent a lovely pass out-wide to unmarked Hall, who had a walk-in at the corner.

Finn was successful with the touchline conversion and Trinity led 0-6.

The Wildcats made it frustrating for Warrington after the first try but when man of the match Hughes found a way over the line on 15 minutes and Gidley levelled the scores with the boot, it became one-way traffic.

Eight minutes later, Clark found some space in the Trinity defence to score a try from acting-half, before Evans finished off a nice move in the corner. Gidley converted so Trinity were 18-6 down.

In the final minute of the first-half David Fifita fumbled Moore’s pass from dummy-half and from the following set, the highly-influential Gidley found his way to the line to score a try which he converted, leaving the half-time score at 24-6.

It took Warrington just six minutes after the break to cross for their first second-half score. The ball was spread out to Atkins, who was playing against his former club, and the centre offloaded to Sandow for a try out-wide. Atkins was heavily involved for the next try too as he made a break for Ratchford to score.

Trinity were reduced to 12 men for ten minutes soon after, when Fifita was sin-binned for a high shot on Sandow and from then, the floodgates started to open. Russell intercepted Anthony Tupou’s pass and despite a great chase back by Ben Jones-Bishop, who was making his 150th career appearance, Currie went over on the next play and Gidley’s conversion made it 40-6.

King was next to score for Warringtom after a smart kick from Dwyer, before Westwood barged his way over for a try against his former club.

The spirit of the Wildcats was clearly on show and they grabbed a consolation try with 13 minutes remaining as Hall was put away down the left before finding Jowitt, who managed to get over despite the attention from Ratchford.

That was as good as it got for Trinity though and Warrington completed the scoring in the final minute when King crossed for his second.


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts