posted on 3 July 2016

A frustrating afternoon for Trinity after a defiant St Helens proved too strong to deny the home side of a victory and securing a spot in the super 8s.

Trinity started the game brightly looking the sharper side after getting the opening try of the game they threw the game away and the visitors soon found form and found themselves taking control over the game and denying Trinity from getting the win.

Wakefield Trinity were the better side in the opening 10 minutes of the game and having more possession. Back-to-back penalties for the home side gave them the advantage to push forward, David Fifita looked extremely dangerous with a couple big runs.

A great set from Trinity saw Jacob Miller get over in the centre under the sticks to take the lead; Finn added the extras to put the home side 6-0 up after five minutes.

Walton lost possession of the ball close to the Wakefield try line resulting in Saints having a strong set and getting over. It was good hands from Wilkin and Lomax down the left edge to find Percival who finished in the corner. Percival was wide with the conversion leaving the visitors two points behind.

Saints received a penalty on the half way line after a ball steal, the visitors found their way through Trinity’s defence and Greg Richards powered over from 15m, Percival added the extras to edge the visitors into the lead 6-10.

A lovely pass from Max Jowitt found Tom Johnstone on the left, the winger dived over in the left corner, an unsuccessful conversion from Finn saw both sides level on points with 15 minutes of the first half remaining.

Soon after Saints found themselves back on top and in the lead, Walker lost the ball, which gave the visitors the possession. A good set in front of Trinity’s try line, Wilkin found Lomax who got over for their third of the game.

The visitors extended their lead when Turner made a break and raced down the field, he found Lomax who got their fourth try which looked like the visitors had a strong lead going in at half time.

However, Miller stole the ball from Lomax and got over the line right on the hooter for half time to make it six points difference between both sides, 16-22.

Saints extended their lead with the first try of the second half as Amor broke through and had Knowles in support to cross under the posts. Percival converted to make it 16-28.

Jacob Miller stole the ball once more and broke free to put the ball down right under the sticks after Walmsley attempted an offload. Finn added the extras to put it 22-28.

Saints were then awarded a penalty after Trinity were pulled up for being offside. James Roby broke the line and had just enough strength to get over and Percival added the extras once more.

A few errors from Saints as they looked to attack the try line resulted in Trinity receiving a scrum in their own 30m line. After being awarded back-to-back penalties, Finn got the ball over after goof work from Scott Moore in dummy half.

Another penalty for the home side after a high tackle on Miller, Liam Finn kicked a 40/20 and on the next play the ball was passed through to the right, Reece Lyne found Ben Jones-Bishop in support and he dived over. Unfortunately Finn dragged the conversion wide and the home side pulled it back to just two points, 32-34.

St Helens got a further two tries towards the end of the game to extend the lead further and deny Trinity of securing the top eight spot. The first one was when Jordan Turner got over the line, however Percival failed to add the extras.

The second came after a few errors from Trinity gave the away side the possession, Roby made a break for Saints he had Fleming in support who got it over the line to seal the win for the visitors with just a minute remaining.

Full Time: Wakefield Wildcats 32-44 St Helens

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts