posted on 6 August 2016

It was a poor display under the lights at the DW Stadium for Trinity after a crumbling defence was outclassed by the Warriors resulting in the heaviest defeat of the season.

Trinity who were low on numbers going into tonight’s fixture debuted two Academy stars, Judah Mazive and Frazer Morris. Both youngsters added enthusiasm and desire into the performance; however, it was not enough to hold off the home side who outclassed Trinity throughout the evening.

Overall it was a lack lustre performance from Trinity with the Warriors taking the game by storm after the opening five minutes of the first half which saw the home side get six tries and Trinity only the one coming from Joe Arundel.

Wigan opened the scoreline after George Williams touched the ball down, the stand off found his way over the line after some great footwork, Smith then converted to put them 6-0 into the lead.

A few minutes later they found their second after a poor defensively display from Trinity. Sam Powell darted over from dummy half, fortunately Smith was unable to convert.

Josh Charnley soon got the third try of the evening for Wigan after a kick from Williams; Smith converted to put the visitors further into the lead.

It was far too easy for the home side being able to pass the ball around easily, resulting in Sam Tomkins getting their fourth try after he weaved his way through Trinity’s defence.

Smart play from Trinity after being awarded a penalty on the 20m mark, a lovely right to left shift from Moore, Finn and Miller to then find Joe Arundel who slid over. Finn added the extras to get the visitors back into the game on 22-6 with seven minutes remaining.

John Bateman was the next to get on the score board after he darted his way through Trinity’s defence who were napping, however it was another poor conversion from Smith who kicked it low and wide.

Oliver Gildart crossed over in the left corner after Judah Mazive was caught in the centre of the field and left the wing wide open for Wigan to get the easiest try of the game right on half time. Smith once again failed to convert and the home side go in at half time 30-6 in the lead.

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors 30-6 Wakefield Trinity

There was no improvement from Trinity in the second half and Wigan added another 30 points onto the scoreboard to secure the two points.
The Warriors opened up the scoreline in the second half. Miller’s pass in the air was caught by Dom Manfredi who raced 80 metres down the field to place the ball nicely under the sticks. Jake Shorrocks converted to further their lead by 36-6.

Minutes later George Williams got his second of the game after showcasing magnificent footwork to dart around the defence to get the ball over. Shorrocks converted once more.

Two further tries for Wigan came when John Bateman made another break down the field, he had Dan Sarginson in support who went over, Shorrock once again converted. The second then came after Sam Tomkins crossed under the posts after great footwork from John Bateman.

A couple of minutes later Craig Hall intercepted the ball after Wigan attempted to spread the ball out side, Hall plucked the ball out of the air before racing away. Finn converted to put the score 54-12 on 68 minutes.

On 71 minutes Bateman collected a loose ball and made a break down the field, he had Matt Smith in support who stepped away from the Trinity defence to win the game on 60-12.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors 60-12 Wakefield Trinity

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts