posted on 21 August 2016

A dismal afternoon at the Select Security Stadium for Trinity who fell at the hands of Widnes Vikings in another heavy defeat of the First Utility Super 8s.

A lack of judgement and a number of errors were to play in the defeat for Trinity in what was a scrappy and dull 80 minutes. Widnes took advantage of the blunders and stormed into a comfortable lead to see the game out early on.

Widnes had the first attempt of the game just after two minutes, fortunately Trinity’s defence came out on top and Hep Cahill lost the ball over the line.

Ah Van did put the home side into the lead after eight minutes when the winger got over in the corner, Lloyd White converted to put them 6-0 up.

Smart play from Widnes through the centre of the field by Kevin Brown who had Rhys Hanbury in support, the skipper flicked the ball across for the winger to touch in down.

Matt Whitley got the third for the visitors, Trinity lost the possession after a dangerous kick from Brown was fumbled by Craig Hall deep into his own half, on the next play Joe Mellor delayed the pass and put Whitley in.

Widnes continued to further their lead with two minutes to half time when Corey Thompson crossed in the corner after a neat pass from Matt Whitley, Lloyd White added the extras to make it 24-0.

Fifita was penalised for a high tackle with 20 seconds of the first half remaining resulting in Widnes opting for the two, however, White was unsuccessful.

Great play between Hanbury and Mellor created a try for Widnes six minutes into the second half when Marsh scrambled over the line. White failed to convert and the home side were 28-0 up.

With Finn down injured Widnes found themselves in attack, great work from Whitley down the field who found Lloyd White to get the try, the hooker then added the extras.

After 55 minutes, Craig Hall got a try for Trinity after he found a gap in the defence; his attempt at the conversion was not as good after he kicked wide, 34-4.

Widnes got another try after Pat Ah Van went over in the corner after Widnes had a strong set and Corey Thompson added the extras.

A consolation try for Trinity when Ben Jones-Bishop intercepted Mellor’s pass and raced 80m for the try. Finn failed to convert and Trinity trailed 40-8.

Full Time: Widnes Vikings 40-8 Wakefield Trinity


Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts