posted on 3 September 2016

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats were unable to pick up a first Super 8s win yesterday evening as neighbours Castleford Tigers ran out 46-22 winners at The Mend-A-Hose-Jungle.

Despite a positive start to the game for Trinity, where they were looking dangerous in attack and strong in defence early on, Castleford found their way to the try line after six minutes. And from then on, a mix of errors and a defiant Tigers squad saw the hosts take the first half by storm, scoring six tries.

Luke Gale’s long pass found Denny Solomona out wide and the winger made no mistake in finishing. Gale was unable to convert and the home side were in the lead on 4-0.

Reece Lyne soon got Trinity back into the game when he went over in the corner after a fantastic pass from Craig Hall, unfortunately Liam Finn was unsuccessful with the conversion to put the game level on 4-4.

Rangi Chase got the second try of the game for the Tigers with a dummy that fooled the Trinity defence and when Gale converted, the Tigers were leading 10-4.

Shortly after, Solomona helped himself to a second try, showing great footwork to get past Lyne. Gale converted to put the home side 16-4 up.

It wasn't long until Solomona grabbed his hat-trick try, proving to be too strong in the corner after a superb Gale pass. Gale converted once again.

After two back-to-back penalties in front of the sticks for Trinity, Finn and Hall combined on the left edge to send Tom Johnstone over for a try on his return from injury, which brought the Wildcats back into the game. Finn once again failed to convert.

The Tigers re-gained control shortly after and both Chase and Gale pulled the strings to send full-back Luke Dorn away for Castleford's fifth try of the first-half. Gale added the extras.

Paul McShane got the sixth try for the home side right on the hooter after picking up a loose ball and when Gale added the extras, the home side were leading 34-8 at half-time.

HALF-TIME: Castleford Tigers 34-8 Wakefield Trinity.

The second-half was a much improved performance from Trinity and they managed to get over three minutes into the half when Bill Tupou picked up a loose ball to touch down in the corner; Finn was unable to convert, 34-12.

The Tigers then crossed through centre Jake Webster but the Wildcats refused to lie down and prop-forward Nick Scruton scored a deserved try, carrying three Tigers defenders over the line with him.

Trinity continued to pile the pressure on Castleford's line and after a fantastic run from Lyne, Johnstone managed to finish in the corner for his second try of the game.

Just moments from time, another try from the Tigers sealed their victory as a fantastic run from McShane was backed up by Gale who put the ball down under the posts. Gale converted to bring the scores 46-22.

FULL-TIME: Castleford Tigers 46-22 Wakefield Trinity.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts