posted on 16 September 2016

A frustrating evening for an improved Trinity side in the final home game of the season.

It was a close encounter under the lights at Belle Vue Stadium with the club marginally missing out on the first win of the Super 8s campaign due to a number of decisions going against the home side.

Trinity’s defence proved stronger denying Hull of a few early tries after fantastic tackles from Mikey Sio and Tom Johnstone.

Hull found themselves down to 12 men after Talanoa was sin binned for 10 minutes for a professional foul on Tom Johnstone. Soon after the home side were the first to go into the lead when a lovely kick from Craig Hall found Joe Arundel in the corner who danced around the defence to get over. Finn converted to add the extras.

Another fantastic defensive display by Trinity after Craig Hall pulled off a fantastic try saving tackle on Jamie Shaul, the decision was sent up to the video ref with a no-try decision on the field. The video ref gave a no-try and Hull continued to push forward.

Liam Watts was then penalised for Hull after a high shot on Max Jowitt, Liam Finn went for the two points and certainly didn’t fail to put the home side 8-0 up with seven minutes of the first half remaining.

Danny Washbrook got the visitors back into the game after he was too strong for the Trinity defence and sailed over the line with three minutes of the first half remaining, Sneyd got the conversion to put them two points behind at half time.

Trinity came out in the second half in fighting spirit with a high completion rate however it was not enough to hold off the defiant Hull side who went into the lead after 10 minutes going in the favour of the visitors, Jordan Thompson broke through the line and crossed under the posts, Sneyd converted to put Hull into the lead on 12-8.

Trinity were close to pulling back after a kick in the air was caught by Bill Tupou who then grounded the ball. The referee sent it up to the video ref which was then given as a no try.

Tom Johnstone got over in the corner, however the referee wanted a second opinion and the decision was in the hand of the video ref once more. The try was given and Trinity were able to go level on points after a failed conversion by Liam Finn.

However it was not long before Hull got themselves back into the lead when a mistake from Craig Hall gave the visitors the advantage and Mahe Fonua forced his way over the line in the corner, Sneyd added the extras to put them 18-12 to win the game.

Full Time: Wakefield Trinity 12- 18 Hull FC

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts