posted on 14 September 2014

Hull KR scored 30 unanswered first half points to end the Trinity season on a sour note.

Omari Caro crossed for a hat-trick and young winger Macauley Hallett helped himself to two tries in a sloppy and lethargic first 40 minutes from the hosts.

Greg Eden crossed for the first of his two tries with Keal Carlile extending the lead to 36 points shortly after the half-time break.

The Wildcats did register on the scoreboard in the second half with Dean Collis, Chris Riley and the retiring Andy Raleigh all getting over the line but the Robins were convincing 42-18 winners.

James Webster recalled Collis with Taulima Tautai missing what would have been his final game for the club due to suspension.

It took Rovers less than three minutes to register their first points of the game on the back of a penalty for Paul Sykes taking out Greg Eden in the air 15 metres from the Trinity line. It was from the resultant set that the Robins worked the overlap on the right edge for Caro’s first score.

There was little to get excited about after that for either side and it took until just before the 20 minute mark for Rovers to get over. Sykes fielded the high kick but got too much on his pass to Richard Owen and the winger saw it sail over his head to gift Hallett his first try.

Five minutes later and Rovers were in again, this time Eden reeling in a pass above his head on halfway before evading four defenders en route to the try line.

Things went from bad to worse for the home side when, in a rare spell of sustained pressure on the Rovers line, Caro intercepted a Lauitiiti pass metres from his own line and there was no catching the speedster.

Trinity were proving architects of their own downfall and when they attempted a planned move from a scrum close to their own line it went horribly wrong. The Robins defence were quick off their line and as Godinet tried to get the pass away the ball fell to ground and Hallett had his second try – a second gift.

Caro completed his hat-trick just before the hooter, picking up a Eden grubber after Lauitiiti had knocked on just short of halfway. Hall couldn’t convert and the Robins went into half-time with a 30-0 lead.

The Robins were quickly into their stride in the second half with Jordan Cox winning the ruck and Carlile was quick to spot the opportunity and he darted over the line from close range.

With the game well and truly in the bag, it was no surprise that the intensity dropped even further. Trinity did at least get on the scoreboard when Tim Smith kept his composure when put under pressure by the Robins defence to grubber through for Collis to touch down.

It was the tale of the day for the Wildcats that an error in the next set provided Rovers with another opportunity and it was soft hands from Burns that put Greg Eden ghosting through the defensive line.

Riley marked making his Trinity stay a permanent one by diving over in the corner after quick thinking from Paul McShane who fired a pass to the winger direct from the tap penalty on the Hull KR line.

The moment of the match from a Trinity viewpoint came when Raleigh, playing his final ever career match, was in support on the right edge and there was no denying the veteran prop getting to the whitewash from 20 metres out.

Share this Page

Wakefield Wildcats Shirts